Question

A couple of things... questions for people

• 12 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge
  1. A few of the businesses that we have entered into our instance of Copper automatically have logos added. Is there a certain action that initiates that process?
  1. When “merging” contacts that are similar, I noticed that it didn’t copy the logo that was attached to one of the contacts. Why would that happen?
  2. When “merging” contacts that are similar, I noticed that the owner of contact wasn’t copied over. Is it possible to know what is being merged and what isn’t?

4 replies

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mrsethwilson! Thanks for your patience! And love the use of that picture 😂

To answer your questions:

A few of the businesses that we have entered into our instance of Copper automatically have logos added. Is there a certain action that initiates that process?

This process is initiated when a Company’s Email Domain or Website gets filled in. The logos are one part of it, but the data enrichment feature will also try to find a description and links to their social media like LinkedIn, Twitter (now X), etc.

When “merging” contacts that are similar, I noticed that it didn’t copy the logo that was attached to one of the contacts. Why would that happen?

Hm that’s a good question, I’ll confirm with our team. When you merge records, you generally choose which fields you want to carry over to the merged record. But it would be a different flow with the logo, since that’s not technically a field.

When “merging” contacts that are similar, I noticed that the owner of contact wasn’t copied over. Is it possible to know what is being merged and what isn’t?

Hm, the owner should be carried over. Here’s how it works:

• If neither contact has an Owner, then the merged contact will also not have an Owner
  • If one contact is assigned to someone and the other is unassigned, the Owner becomes whoever owned the contact that had an Owner (what a mouthful to say!)
  • If the two contacts are assigned to two different Owners, the system will ask you to confirm which one should own the merged contact (see below)
This screen shows any discrepancies between the data in the contacts that are being merged, and select which piece of data you want to keep. For example, in this example I’m merging a contact who is owned by Dorothy Jones, with another who is owned by Michelle Lee. I’ve selected Dorothy Jones to be the owner of the merged contact.

Are you saying you merged a contact that did have an Owner assigned, and the resulting merged contact was unassigned? Please let me know if that’s the case.

Thanks Seth! Let me know if that helps. I’ll get back to you about merging + logos.

Badge
  1. Thank you, I’ll try to add more website and email domain info and see if that gets me the result I’m looking for.
  2. In my experience, the logo disappeared when merging. That was a small sample size but just making sure what else may not transfer over.
  3. I merged two contacts, one with an owner and one without. The result was that the merged contact no longer had an owner. This is the genesis of what sparked this question because it happened several times. When I merged two contacts who had the same owner, the owner stayed. Obviously if you merged two contacts who had no owner, there would be no owner.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@mrsethwilson 

1. Sounds good!  Give it a try for a bit and let me know if it’s helpful. From my experience, how effective it is depends on the company that you’re entering the website for. Larger companies usually have a larger digital footprint for the enrichment tool to work off of. Also, the same enrichment tool is on People as well--when you enter their email address, it will cross-reference that email to try and find a profile pic, social media profiles, etc. How effective it is depends on whether it can find anything linked to that specific email.
  2. So I spoke with our team and also did some testing. If one contact has a profile pic and the other does not, the merged contact should keep that profile pic. If neither of them has one, then the merged contact’s picture will be blank. And if they both have a pic, it’ll keep the profile pic of the contact who was higher on the list. Doesn’t sound like that’s happening for you--would you like me to put you in touch with our technical team to investigate?
  3. That’s strange. I wonder if that’s related to your experience with the profile pic. Happy to put you in touch with the technical team about this, just let me know :)

Thanks Seth!