4 reasons to fill in Email Domains on Company records

• 10 November 2021
  • 5 replies
4 reasons to fill in Email Domains on Company records
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We recommend that you fill out the Email Domain field on Company records whenever possible. Here’s a list of reasons why!

1. They automatically link new People to the right Company

Let’s say you have a Company record. Next time you add a new Person to Copper, the system will check if their email’s domain matches that of a company you already have in Copper. If it does, it will automatically associate that Person to that Company. Neat, huh?

Here’s an example - I have a Company called Google whose email domain is “google.com”. When I later add “sergey@copper.com” as a Person, the system will automatically associate them with Google in the system.

2. They help prevent duplicate Companies

Say you enter a new Company in Copper. If you fill out the Email Domain for that new Company, Copper will check if it exists on another Company entry in the system already. If it does, Copper will prevent you from creating a duplicate.

The email domain of a Company acts as its unique identifier. This way, you can prevent duplicate entries. This is especially helpful if you have multiple users creating Companies!

3. They make it easier to do bulk updates

Since email domains are a unique identifier for Companies, you can use them as the key field when doing an update via import. This is very useful if you have batches of data to add or update on existing Companies in Copper.

Click here to read more about updates on import.

4. They’ll help populate useful data

When you fill in a company’s Email Domain, our system will use that information to automatically populate information like their website, social media accounts, and a brief description of the organization. This provides more insight as to who this company is and what they do, which will help you build your relationship with them!

5 replies

Hi Michelle,

I’ve watched your videos and they’re good!  So I’m going to ask you this question because I haven’t been able to figure it out through copper contact so far.

If we have two opportunities, let’s call them Muskegon and Cheboygan,  and are relating people to each one, what happens if the same lender, Sonya Dell, is engaged with each opportunity and so her email and company are related to each opportunity.  But then all her emails are flowing into both projects which is very confusing. How do you relate someone or a company to both opportunities but distinguish that Sonya's Cheboygan emails go to Cheboygan opportunity and Sonya's Muskegon emails go to Muskegon opportunity?

As an additional question, we could delete the Sonya Muskegon emails from Cheboygan, but there are so many that it would be time consuming to go through and figure out which ones to delete.

Sonya isn’t the primary contact with both opportunities, but she is related to both opportunities and her company is related to both opportunities.  Is there a way to get some of her emails to go one place and some of her emails to go to another?

One challenge of this is that you could mistake the content of a message thinking it was for one opportunity and it’s for another.  For example, Sonya could send an email that says:  we’re ready to close tomorrow.  But it goes to both  opportunity activity feeds and so later on, you can’t track which one she meant, even though in the email exchange it’s probably clear.  I think of the activity feed as a way to follow the story of an opportunity.  In general, oversharing by syncing seems like it requires management.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LAGM, glad you’re enjoying the videos! Happy to help with your question - 

The answer is that there’s no built-in way to automatically distinguish between the two email topics and which Opportunity they should roll up to. In truth, that part of the system is designed to sync emails without needing any user intervention. The downside of this, as you mentioned, is the possibility of “oversharing.”

While we don’t have an out-of-the-box solution for this now, I’d love to get your feedback in front of the product team. The example you shared would be really helpful for them to understand. Would it be ok if I turned your comment into an Idea post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Putting the reply from @LAGM here for continuity:

Hi Michelle,

Can’t find where you responded on this site, but received it in email.  Maybe if you limit the people connection to the primary contact and eliminate other related people, that would capture most of the conversation about the opportunity, but the oversharing problem is really a challenge!

That’s a really interesting idea! I’m going to create a dedicated Idea thread for this feedback so that it’s all in the right place. I’ll share the link with you once I do that.

Hi,

How can I edit Social Media Accounts in Company record? I would like to keep only LinkedIn record and to eliminate other (Twitter, Youtube….).

Thank you in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Andrey Birzov, unfortunately there’s no way to disable individual types of social media. You can hide the entire social media category but not individual platforms like Youtube, Twitter, etc.

If you’d like to see this feature in the future please post it as an Idea. That way you product team can take a look.

Thanks Andrey!