Question

Prospect Best Practice Question

• 22 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We work in a field adjacent to construction where our potential projects have multiple contacts from several different companies.

What is the best practice for trying to align potential contacts to an opportunity when they may be from multiple other companies?

Our goal is to try to maintain all communication in one space but not sure how we could go about doing that with the system configuration.

Example:

New Announcement: Big Build Building being built for Company XYZ by Construction Company 123 and designed by ABC Architects

Leaders in Company XYZ are now prospective contacts, the construction company

Project Management at Construction Company 123 are prospective contacts

Design Team ABC Architects are prospective contacts.

We want to create a new opportunity in the pipeline and be able to sync all potential contacts and communication to the opportunity rather than the individual company they work for.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mrsethwilson! My apologies for the delay here, this post was unfortunately caught in our spam filter 😞 I have entered a manual override for your account, so we shouldn’t encounter this issue moving forward.

So you want to be able to see all the communications with all the contacts for an Opportunity, even if they are from different Companies.

You can do this by adding all those individuals to the Opportunity. This brings all their activities (including emails) into the activity log for the Opp.

Here’s an example below. You can see in the top right corner, I’ve added three different People from three different Companies. And in the middle, you can see that my emails, phone calls, and other activities with them are all showing in the order they were logged.

So following your example, you can create an Opportunity called “Big Build Buildling,” and you would add the leaders in from Company XYZ, the project managers at Construction Company 123, and the Design Team at ABC Architects as related contacts.

And the easiest way to do that is to use the “+” arrow in the related People section of your Opp.

If you end up with a lot of folks on one Opp, you can also create a Note detailing who is who, and pinning it to the top.

Hope that helps :)

Badge

That’s super helpful.

One thing I notice is that entering the contact automatically adjust the company. Is there a way to separate that so a contact that doesn’t work for the company can be the main POC without linking an opportunity to the wrong company?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@mrsethwilson Yes, when you add the first Person to an Opp, it also automatically updates the Opp’s Company to match that Person’s Company. What you can do is add that Person and then unrelate the Company.

In the Related section, hover over the Company you want to remove. You’ll see an “X” for Unrelate.

In this example, the Primary Contact is Cathie Wood with Ark Invest. But I have unrelated Ark Invest from the Opp. So she’s the Primary Contact but her Company isn’t listed on the Opp.

If I wanted, I could un-relate all the Companies from the Opp too.

Let me know if that helps 👍