Question

how to get people by company?

• 11 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

In the copper web ui. I have a field on companies which is ‘industries’

i would like to select people in industry X who have been inactive for a range of time.

I can filter companies by industry, but this doesn’t get me people.

I cannot filter people by properties of their company. Why? other tools allow this, e.g. mautic i can filter on user.property or user.company.property.

How can i achieve the objective of having a list of people who work for companies in a certain industry w/ a certain inactive range?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I completely agree here, it would be super helpful to be able to filter down people by their company fields, same for like opportunities by company fields. Wish there was more filtering down based on related custom fields.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @donbowman and @alex! You’re right that we don’t currently have a feature to filter for one record type based on fields on another record type. I understand it would be helpful to do that within Copper. If you’d like us to notify you if we have any announcements about that, I recommend you give this idea thread an upvote.

As a workaround, you could do this through an Excel or Google Sheets using vlookup or xlookup to cross-reference the data on the Person and on the Company. While it does take a few steps to set up, it is an option that is available to you now. I especially like using our Google Sheets add-on for this because I can set up the cross-reference once and then refresh the data as needed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

its really not useful to suggest exporting companies to sheets, then people to sheets, then working in sheets. the first thing i would want to do would be to e.g. drill in, do some action, call.

exporting to sheets takes an hour or more for each, then its clumsy, then… its not the crm. i’m not even sure this would ever finish, the api for this is not reliable.

if i wanted to use google sheets as the crm i would have, and we would not have copper.

this is really a shocking omission here, one that other tools have managed to do, either from the start, or grow over the years. there has been no improvements in this area in copper in the 5 years we have been using it.

‘upvoting’ a 3 year old suggestion to improve this is not, imho, likely to change anything.

I would encourage you to try what i suggested.

load 35K companies into coppper. add an industries custom type.

load 90K users into copper. associate them appropriately to the companies.

Now, the task is, for companies in industry X that we have not talked to in Y days, examine the users and decide which ones we will create a program around, and, from the tool, contact or call them one by one.

the sheeets method effectively never finishes. but even if it were to, i would be finding a user in window 1, going to window 2, searching, finding, doing soemthing, repeating. this is very very inneficient.

humans are not the most efficient way to do a Join.

If i could make a view that was based on sql:

select first, last, email, title, last-contacted from people p join companies c on p.company=c.id where c.industries in (‘mining’, ‘manufacturing’) order by last contacted desc limit 500;

then it would work.

but the current filters, don’t work on all field, only work within a type…. the sheets is not a viable workaround for this limitation.