Question

Customer Phone Number + Extension

• 20 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Was looking but didn’t seem to find the best practice for putting a phone number extension in the phone field.

In the past, it seems that, for example, calling one customer with a phone tree number would create an “activity” for ALL customers with that same phone number.

To avoid that, I was wondering if putting in the unique extension would change the activity?

Is there a best practice regarding adding extensions?

For example, input in the Phone field as follows:

xxx-xxx-xxx ext. xxxx

-or-

xxx-xxx-xxxx;xxxx

What is the best way?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mrsethwilson, thanks for posting! It sounds like you’re using the automatic call logging feature on Android? Let me know if I got that right.

To answer your question, adding an extension would not prevent the call from getting logged to each Person with that same root phone number. This is because when you call that number, it technically dials the root phone number first. So when the system sees that’s the number you dialed, the Copper app receives that information and logs it based on that phone number.

I’ve brought this to our mobile team as feedback.

As for which format the enter extensions, I recommend the semicolon. If you’re on Android, calling a phone number with that extension format will first dial the root phone number, and once it connects you get a popup asking if you’d like it to dial the extension for you.

Badge

Using iphone or android devices.

That is a bummer because I would love for the calls to be logged specifically to a single user and was hopeful that it could be done using the extension as a unique identifier.

Is there a way for us to log inbound calls using Copper? For example, customers having a phone number generated from the app similar to how Google does?