Video

Manually changing record visibility vs. setting up Team Permissions [video]

• 10 September 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Community, someone recently asked me:

If you need to limit access to certain records to certain individuals would the best way to approach it be to use the visibility setting on the record level or create a team for those individuals and use the team permissions? Thanks!

Check out my video response below. I’ve also added the key points towards the bottom.

Note: As of March 2022, Opportunities in the Copper left-hand menu is changing to Pipelines. Click here for more information.

What are the options for blocking records from certain users?

1. Individually changing the Visibility on each record: this allows Admins to change who can a record or specific contact. For example, an Admin could change it so that only they can see a certain Person or Company.
  2. Using bulk edit to change the Visibility on many records: this allows Admins to do batch changes to instead of one-by-one.
  3. Applying Teams & Permissions: this allows admins to set up default visibility rules for certain groups of users. For example, you might have a Sales Team that is allowed to see all records owned by themselves and their teammates. So the Sales Team would not be able to see a Person, Company, or Opportunity that is owned by the Marketing Team.

Which option to use? It depends.

Doing one-by-one or bulk changes to visibility makes sense if there are only a few records that need to be blocked, or if the admin is willing to comb through the records to adjust the settings. Using Team Permissions makes sense when you prefer to rely on a default set of visibility rules as opposed to constantly adjusting.

In most cases, the best solution is a bit of both - set up Teams Permissions with a set of rules that will work most of the time. Then, you can adjust visibility on certain records on an as-needed basis.

Hope that was helpful! Let me know in the comments if you have any questions.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!