Customer files at your fingertips 📂

Customer files at your fingertips 📂

Drumroll 🥁 please! We’re excited to share that a new way to store and organize your files is coming your way 🥳

We know that despite your team’s best efforts to stay organized, files seem to go missing right when we need them. We can waste a lot of time clicking into multiple Google Drive folders, search bars, Gmail conversations and message threads — or even asking colleagues for that elusive proposal or report. The file goose chase is enough to drive us mad 🦆

This tangled mess of unfindable files can make your team appear disorganized and unprofessional to your clients. Plus, it costs you so much time that could be better spent doing actual work 😰

You can end the file goose chase

Copper will soon make it easier than ever to surface your most important client documents where you need them. No more searching around for a file you might’ve sent months ago. Files and Google Docs emailed to customers in Copper will automatically auto-relate to their Person record 💪

From there you can search through all files auto-related or manually uploaded to that Person record in Copper and preview or download the files you need ✨

New file interface in Copper People records will reveal auto-related files

But that’s not all! Company and Opportunity records will also have a new file interface in Copper allowing you to explore files added to Person records within Companies or Opportunities. No need to flip back and forth between record types to find the documents you’re looking for — efficiency at its finest!

You’ll see files related to Person records within Companies and Opportunities

The fun doesn’t stop there.

When you click the paperclip icon 📎 while composing in Gmail, you’ll have the option to add files directly from Copper!

When selected, you can search for files by name or by Person, or look through your most recent files 🔥

Search for files right from your Gmail inbox

Coming soon

These exciting new features will roll out to Copper customers over the coming weeks. 

In the meantime, you should:

1. Have the Copper Chrome extension installed to use this functionality in Gmail.

2. Ensure you mark synced emails visible, so you and your team members can see the files and emails sent to customers. Head to Settings > Personal Preferences > Email Settings & Templates, then check “Mark synced emails visible and automatically relate files to records.” You’ll be able to share your past emails and files if you choose.

We’re excited to hear what you think!

The team at Copper

Woohoo! This looks great! Well done team! 🙌🙌

Hi,

I like the thinking on this. But it may not be a great option for us. A couple of questions 

When we first joined copper about 4 years ago there was a limit to storage on Copper, after which you would start paying for additional storage has this limit been removed. If not what is the limit and costs?

How long is information stored for? i.e. is it to storage capacity or is there a time limit

I assume the files are available still in gmail (I am sure they will but have to ask the dumb questions) 

If we do not want to use this function is there a way to opt out?

@Shaun_Tubb  Great to hear you like our thinking! Let’s go through your questions.

When we first joined copper about 4 years ago there was a limit to storage on Copper, after which you would start paying for additional storage has this limit been removed. If not what is the limit and costs?

The good news is: Copper eliminated storage charges and limits a few years ago for all customers (including long-time customers), so no need to worry! We also have no plans to limit, charge or block storage capacity for customers in the future.

File syncing will only start on net-new files and emails that are synced to Copper. Once the feature is released to your account, it will work automatically for newly synced emails that are marked as public.

How long is information stored for? i.e. is it to storage capacity or is there a time limit

Once they’re synced, we’ll store them indefinitely (i.e. no time limit!)

I assume the files are available still in gmail

File organization is tied to email sync, so just like your emails, the files will remain in Gmail!

If we do not want to use this function is there a way to opt out?

If you don't want to use the file organization capabilities, you would have to set "mark emails as private" in your email settings, or disconnect your Gmail sync. That being said - since there's no additional charge with file storage, we're hoping you and your team will find value in syncing and sharing files!

@Michelle from Copper  Thanks for the response.

I can understand the value of this to a lot of organisations but to not build an opt out is saying it is useful for all organisations and in our case we feel it would create a lot of noise in the solution and we don’t have a real issue with the problem being solved. (although we can see value)

Could i request that there is an option to opt out other than turning off the synch --- or putting into private mode which effectively means others can’t see each other emails and eliminates 50% of the value of Copper (the ability for anyone on our team able to help customers and see correspondence). 

It seems heavy handed to force a feature that may or may not be useful for a customer and to opt out they have to reduce the viability/usefulness of the solution to do so.

Assuming the team is too far down the rabbit hole to change prior to implementation some additional questions

• Does the solution recognise file types i.e. does it only pull across PDF, Excel (Sheets), Word (Docs) etc or is it any attachment -- does it take out the png, image and other files that some organisations have at the bottom of emails with logos or part logos and only pull through certain file types or is there an option to select file types
  • Does it recognise duplicates i.e. does it recognise the file in the corresponding client records. I respond to all in an email correspondence and the file is at the bottom of the chain do i end up with multiple versions of the same document on the customer file? 

Hi Shaun,

I’m the Product Manager for this upcoming feature, and we really appreciate your feedback.  We do want to make sure we aren’t negatively impacting existing customer experiences when rolling out new features, and that we’re conscientious of the variety of our customer workflows.  If you’re up for it, I’d love to hop on a call to better understand your workflow as it relates to our file data entry automation, so please let me know if you’re interested!  Regarding your questions:

• Does the solution recognise file types i.e. does it only pull across PDF, Excel (Sheets), Word (Docs) etc or is it any attachment -- does it take out the png, image and other files that some organisations have at the bottom of emails with logos or part logos and only pull through certain file types or is there an option to select file types
  • Does it recognise duplicates i.e. does it recognise the file in the corresponding client records. I respond to all in an email correspondence and the file is at the bottom of the chain do i end up with multiple versions of the same document on the customer file? 

Currently the file automation feature screens out for certain file types that are obviously not relevant, but otherwise auto organizes most other file types including image types.  Selecting the type of file to auto-organize is not currently supported.  However, it does recognize duplicates by file name and content, or by ID if it’s a hosted on Google Drive (e.g. a pdf on Google Drive, or a Google doc).  In your scenario, a file that’s part of an email thread and has been re-shared multiple times will only show up once for a given contact.  Lastly, you can continue to use the manually uploaded files-only filter and ignore auto-related files if desired.

Let me know if you have additional questions or comments, and thank you again.

Will you be able to have centralized company files you can pull from?  For example if a company has 3 sales or marketing documents they would like to team to use the updated versions of, could it be stored in copper somewhere?

If you setup an email template will you be able to attach a file to that template?  I use “my templates” a lot and I have to resort back to gmail when sending mass emails with attachments.

Also, could you make the edit email template box a little larger?  So when you are putting together a template, you can read it / proof read the typing better?  It shows up so small on the screen. 

We are so excited for this!!  When will we be able to start using it? 

@trev so glad to hear you’re excited!! Based on your questions, it sounds like this feature will be a great fit for your team. I’ll tackle each of your points below:

Will you be able to have centralized company files you can pull from?  For example if a company has 3 sales or marketing documents they would like to team to use the updated versions of, could it be stored in copper somewhere?

There won't be a centralized "location" in Copper to pull files from, but if you are always sending the same 3 documents, they will appear at the top of your list when you "Attach files from Copper." Alternatively, you can search for files based on who you’ve sent/received them from. So if Michelle Lee sent you those updated files, you can search Michelle Lee to find them.

If you setup an email template will you be able to attach a file to that template?  I use “my templates” a lot and I have to resort back to gmail when sending mass emails with attachments.

Not yet! Attachments on email templates is on our near-future roadmap. BUT you can add attachments to bulk emails! So when you set up your bulk email, apply the template and then add the attachment. I’ll put a screenshot below.

Also, could you make the edit email template box a little larger? So when you are putting together a template, you can read it / proof read the typing better? It shows up so small on the screen.

This is really great feedback! Would you mind posting it as an Idea for our Product team?

We are so excited for this!!  When will we be able to start using it? 

We're rolling this out over the next few weeks. As soon as it's ready, you'll get a notification in your "Files" section in your Copper records.

Loving the feature thus far! Any chance there will be an ability to rename files though? Pretty often there are files exchanged with no rhyme or reason as to what they are (e.g. screenshots):

Would be nice to be able to rename (or at the least be able to write in some context details).

Appreciate it!