Question

Customizing Related Fields in Opportunty

• 5 December 2022
  • 1 reply

I have several different contacts I want to relate to an opportunity… we are a contractor, and some of the item changes, some will get deleted after we close a project/opportunity…

In the related section I can have multiple associated people… a Primary and everyone else.  Is there a way to have multiple lists… i.e.:

Bidders - this is a list of people/companies we are sending proposals to

Architect - Would like this to be from the people/company database

MEP - Would like this to be from the people/company database

FP - Would like this to be from the people/company database

Thoughts?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @TomBoyleFFI, thanks for posting! We don’t have a way to do it in the Related section, but you could instead create a custom Connect Field. This would allow you to link other People or Companies to your Opportunity, and to label those relationships.

Here is an example:

In this example, Warren Buffet referred Ray Faulker. If I click on Ray Faulkner, I can see his Referring Lender was Warren Buffet. So the two contacts are linked together.

So you could set up a Connect Field for Bidders, another one for Architects, and so on.

To set up a Connect Field, go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Opportunities > Create Field. Make sure sure you select “Connect Field” as the type.

You’ll see spots to fill in the Label and Record Types. As an example, this is how I would set up the Bidders one:

Connect fields are great for tracking relationships but they do come with some limitations:

1. They cannot be imported or exported
  2. They cannot be included in reports
  3. They cannot be used with workflow automations

If those are not blockers then perhaps connect fields are a good option for you.

Let me know your thoughts!