New in Copper: Days in stage reports 📊

New in Copper: Days in stage reports 📊

Reports just got better 💪. You can now create reports on how long opportunities sit in a pipeline stage. This data can provide powerful insights into your pipeline to help you win more deals in less time.

There are lots of ways you can use Days in stage reports, including: 

• Improve processes: Easily identify opportunities that are sitting in a stage longer than average. If you notice a pattern, like multiple opportunities sitting in a particular stage for an extended period, you can hold team training aimed at helping improve the conversion rate between that stage and the next.
  • Analyze performance: Compare how long it takes to close an opportunity from one referral source over another (e.g., a conference lead vs. a cold call lead). If you know that deals from a specific source close faster, you can start allocating more resources to create additional opportunities from that source. 
  • Forecasting: Easily calculate your sales cycle length. Sales leaders can get even more granular by combining Days in stage data with other fields to get information on things like the average sales cycle in specific industries or regions.  

You can access Days in stage reports in three ways:

• Dashboard templates: For those looking to get started right away, you can find the Average Opp Days in Pipeline chart and the Average Opp Days in Stage chart in the Sales Pipeline and Sales Forecasting template.
  • Pre-built insights: If you’re looking to add these reports to your existing dashboards, you can find them under “Saved Insights.” They’re available as a chart or a table.
  • Building an insight: If you’re looking to build something custom, you can access a selection of facts and attributes in the Insights Builder under the “Opportunity Days in Stage” group.

For step-by-step information on setting up your Days in stage reports, check out our help article.

This is interesting. I’ve been playing around with this and have a clarification question. Can you give more information on what the difference is between “Opp Pipeline (Days in Stage)”, “Opp Stage (Days in Stage)” compared to the old “Opp Pipeline” and “Opp Stage”? And why I would get different outputs for “Opp Days in Stage” (the metric) depending on which I use? 

Hi @MattCraig! Glad to hear you’re playing around with it. I generally recommend starting with one of our Dashboard templates or the pre-built insights (there’s a list of them in the help article). Sounds like you’re building from scratch, which is awesome!

Your question has to do with the way the data is structured, but I’ll do my best to explain. From a high level, if you’re doing a Days in Stage insight, use the data options labeled with (Days in Stage). Otherwise, continue to use Opp Pipeline and Opp Stage as usual.

As for why: basically, Opp Pipeline (Days in Stage) and Opp Stage (Days in Stage) include the Opportunities’ past Stages and Pipelines. They track the history required to say: Opportunity A spent 2 days in this Stage/Pipeline, and 5 days in that one. In contrast, Opp Pipeline and Opp Stage track an Opportunity’s current Pipeline and Stage.

Hope that helps!

So is a different way of saying it at a high level is the ones with (Days in Stage) gives the historical view and the Opp Pipeline and Opp Stage (without Days in Stage) shows current state? 

@Jodi yup, pretty much! There’s more nuance to it, but the main takeaway here is: if you use the Opp Days in Stage data item, use the corresponding Opp Pipeline (Days in Stage) and Opp Stage (Days in Stage) data items too. They’re all conveniently bundled in the same area in the Insights Builder.