Video

Example Workflow Automation: calculating commission for an Opportunity [video]

• 25 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi everyone. Here’s a how-to video on creating a Workflow Automation that calculates commission on an Opportunity.

Note: As of March 2022, Opportunities in the Copper left-hand menu is changing to Pipelines. Click here for more information.

For this one, you’ll need fields for commission % and the commission dollar amount. Those fields need to have Field Keys to reference in your Workflow Automation. Add a Field Key to an existing field by going to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Edit Custom Fields. Or you can fill it in while you are creating that new field.

Here’s the Trigger and Action I used in this example:

The formula for this Action includes two variables:

1. monetary_value  - this refers to the default Value field on an Opportunity
  2. cf_commission_percent  - this refers to the custom field we use to store Commission % on an Opportunity. In this case, the field key is commission_percent and because it’s a custom field we add the prefix cf_ 

If you have any questions please add them in the comments below.

Happy Workflow Automation-ing!

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Michelle,

I am setting up this automation on our deals (opportunities) and have run into a problem. The error says that commission % must be a whole number. Is there any way to work around this? Commissions are variable and are never a whole number for us. It keeps rounding up to 3 but that is inaccurate by about $2,000 in the below scenario.

What should I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cae787, you can try using a Number field instead. Basically you’ll have to re-create your Percentage field as a Number field.

Let me know if you need more details :thumbsup:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Michelle,

How do I find out the field names for each field as listed below? ex: monetary_value. Where in copper are these names shown?

Thanks,

Ruth

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ARCO! There is a full list of the default variables here (closer to the bottom of the page). Feel free to let me know if you’re looking for something specific. Thanks Ruth!

Hi all, 

I’m following this process but receiving the error that my commission % value isn’t supported? 

I believe I’ve copied the formula exactly, can anyone assist?