Using workflow automation to create a task, tried to use tag as trigger

• 18 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Engaged User
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I am trying to create an automated task, depending on the department/deal in the opportunity will go to the correct person.

I tried to use tags as my defining trigger but for some reason that did not work.

I set it it as follows:

Trigger: When a specific field is updated on an opportunity

Trigger conditions:

Stage: when it equals standard X

Pipeline: equals standard Y

Tags: equals standard Z

All of the conditions are met (AND)

Action:

Create Task:

Name: Use Formula CONCAT(name, ': Review Candidate Details')

Activity Type: Standard To Do

Owner: Standard (Me)

Description Standard Review Candidate  

(If this above would have worked, I would have created workflow automation with the next tag for the next person), however, when testing, i did not receive any tasks. Where am i going wrong? 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Gili! I suspect it’s because your trigger condition says the Tags - equal - standard - Z. Instead of equals, try contains. Here’s an example:

I recommend you try that first. If it doesn’t work, try re-ordering your trigger condition so that Pipeline is before Stage.

Let me know if that works!

Userlevel 1
Badge

HI Michelle,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried both of your suggestions but no success. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, if you have any further suggestions?

Or if you have any other recommendations other than using tags to identify and trigger the action to different people?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Gili Hm that’s strange - we’ll need to take a closer look in order to troubleshoot. I’ve given a heads up to your customer success manager @Evan from Copper - he’ll be able to help you one-on-one. You should hear from him via email shortly. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Michelle from Copper I spoke with Kevin in ask the expert and we actually landed up creating a customized dropdown field in opportunity for the trigger to avoid using tags.

However, I wanted to let you know that the reason it didn’t work for me was simple user error, I had created a similar “test” pipeline and didn’t pick the correct pipeline for the trigger which Kevin picked up on. ;) Everything else was spot on and when testing it with the correct pipeline the tags worked perfectly and the notification came through!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Gili Awesome, thanks for the update! Using drop-downs makes a lot of sense. Tags are great but are sometimes too flexible, easy to miss, etc.

Super glad to hear that it’s working now. Sometimes it takes a second set of eyes. :slight_smile:

I’m gonna put the links to our ask-an-export and workflow automation sessions for anyone who stumbles on this thread.

Thanks Gili!! :grin: