Question

Project Creation from Opportunities

• 22 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I can see that when marking an opportunity as Won you can immediately create a Project. I see that the resulting project will pull information from the opportunity, including the company, owner, description, and the activity log. How do I get it to pull in other custom fields in the Opportunity that are identical in the resulting Project?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Dlader, creation of a project from ‘move to won’ replicates a limited number of fields in the project. If you want to link more data, you can use Zapier to pull the (custom) fields from the Opportunity and copy them over to the project*). Three60.io offers these kind of features as a service. You can schedule a free discovery call to check it out. 

*) There is one limitation, you cannot get and push multi-select fields. If you needs this, API programming is required. This also offered by Three60.io

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Dlader, I want to clarify that you’re referring to this option that pops up when you mark an opportunity as won? Screenshot below:

If you’re using that toggle to create the Project, there’s no direct way to pull additional/custom fields into the resulting project. But if you use Workflow Automation to create the Project, then you CAN pull those additional fields.

Essentially, with workflow automation you can have the system automatically create the Project when the opportunity is won instead of using the toggle button in the screenshot above. There’s actually two benefits to using workflow automation for this:

1. You can pull custom fields from the Opportunity into the Project, and
  2. You can set rules for when exactly a Project should be made. For example, you can specify that is should create a Project with Template A when an Opportunity is Won, it’s in a specific stage, and its value is over $X.

If that sounds good to you, I’m happy to provide more guidance. :slight_smile: Just let me know a little bit about the fields you want to pull over (What types are they? Did you already add them to projects or are they only on opportunities right now? How many are there?)

@Jaco Koppelaar mentioned Zapier but I do believe our built-in Workflow Automation feature would be fine for this. Zapier is great if you need to connect to other platforms or if you need more advanced features/logic.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Michelle from Copper @Dlader , I tried creation of projects in the past using the Copper workflow but if I remember correctly, there is no way to relate them to the opportunity or other entities in Copper. It was also not possible to add custom fields. But maybe this is solved right now. If so, I agree with Michelle that the standard Copper workflow should be good enough. 

Hi @Dlader, I want to clarify that you’re referring to this option that pops up when you mark an opportunity as won? Screenshot below:

If you’re using that toggle to create the Project, there’s no direct way to pull additional/custom fields into the resulting project. But if you use Workflow Automation to create the Project, then you CAN pull those additional fields.

Essentially, with workflow automation you can have the system automatically create the Project when the opportunity is won instead of using the toggle button in the screenshot above. There’s actually two benefits to using workflow automation for this:

1. You can pull custom fields from the Opportunity into the Project, and
  2. You can set rules for when exactly a Project should be made. For example, you can specify that is should create a Project with Template A when an Opportunity is Won, it’s in a specific stage, and its value is over $X.

If that sounds good to you, I’m happy to provide more guidance. :slight_smile: Just let me know a little bit about the fields you want to pull over (What types are they? Did you already add them to projects or are they only on opportunities right now? How many are there?)

@Jaco Koppelaar mentioned Zapier but I do believe our built-in Workflow Automation feature would be fine for this. Zapier is great if you need to connect to other platforms or if you need more advanced features/logic.

The answer to your question is yes. Please send more details on how this would work. How would it still use the Project templates?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Dlader here’s a video guide. Let me know if you have any questions!