Question

Prevent Duplicate Opportunities by Matching Names

• 9 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a workflow set up where it would create a new opportunity with a specific naming format using a formula when a checkbox on a Person account is checked to "true". 

A user can inadvertently check, uncheck and check box again and that would create duplicate opportunities.

Since Opportunity names are not unique, I want to know if there is a way to create a workflow that would prevent an opportunity record from being created if another opportunity exists with the same matching opportunity name.

Feel free to re-post this as an idea or merge with another related post.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Lori K 

Not sure if I understood your issue correctly. Is the duplicate naming the issue or the fact that a user checks the box multiple times? If it is the last one, I suggest to add an another field (e.g. Opportunity Date) that is updated when the opportunity is created. Now you can update the condition of the trigger and only runs the workflow if the Checkbox is Checked AND the Opportunity Date is empty. 

Hope this helps

Kind regards, Jaco Koppelaar (three60.io

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lori K!

A user can inadvertently check, uncheck and check box again and that would create duplicate opportunities.

Yes, unfortunately that’s something that can happen with checkboxes in general. I often recommend to use a Dropdown with options for Yes and No instead of a checkbox. That way, it takes a user two clicks to change something rather than one accidental click.

Another option - instead of triggering that workflow automation off a custom field, you could do it off a tag. Here’s an example Trigger for when a Person is tagged with “Clone”

The downside to using a tag as a trigger is that you have to remember which tag triggers it, as opposed to filling out a box. But the process would be more intentional, which would help prevent those accidental triggers.

As @Jaco Koppelaar mentioned, you can also add another trigger condition / field to prevent those accidental checks from automatically becoming Opps.

Something else to consider - you have the ability to block non-admins from editing certain fields such as that checkbox. So if it’s an admin’s responsibility to check that box, you can block anyone else from being able to do so.

To change the edit rules for a field, go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records. Here’s a screenshot for reference:

In this example, I’m setting the field Status to Read Only for non-admins.

Since Opportunity names are not unique, I want to know if there is a way to create a workflow that would prevent an opportunity record from being created if another opportunity exists with the same matching opportunity name.

This would not be possible in our native Workflow Automation feature because it does not have the ability to “scan” existing records. But it would be possible if you use Zapier for the automation. In the Zapier automation, you could set up a step that checks whether an Opportunity with that exact same name exists. If it doesn’t, it can create the Opp. If it does, it can simply do nothing OR it can update something on that existing Opp.

But, if sounds like your best bet is to address the accidental checking first.

Let us know your thoughts on those options!