Question

Google Contact Sync

• 16 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi there,

I let Copper sync all my google contacts before. Two questions:

• Is it possible to have an option to not sync the entire list?
  • Although it assured me, that it would not import duplicates (previously imported contacts), it did and now I have my entire contact list in Copper two times… Is that a bug or will it be like this every time, that I want to automatically sync contacts from google contacts?

Thanks for letting me know!

Jul

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jul R, thanks for posting! It sounds like you’re referring to importing your Google Contacts into Copper (screenshot below), as opposed to our 1-way Copper → Google Contacts sync. I’m going to answer based on that, but let me know if I got it wrong!

Importing Google Contacts into Copper - i.e. when you open up our Import tool and select “Google Contacts”

Is it possible to have an option to not sync the entire list?

Yes, but you would have to do this based on Labels in Google Contacts. When you reach the import settings, it will ask you which Labels/folders you would like the import, and will exclude the ones you don’t select. So I recommend making sure your Google Contacts have the right Labels applied to them beforehand.

Although it assured me, that it would not import duplicates (previously imported contacts), it did and now I have my entire contact list in Copper two times… Is that a bug or will it be like this every time, that I want to automatically sync contacts from google contacts?

It’ll detect potential duplicates by looking at the email address of each Google Contact, and checking if that same email is on an existing Copper contact. So it’s effective when you have the same email address filled out in both your Google Contacts and Copper contacts. Otherwise, it’s not going to be able to detect those duplicates.

There might be additional considerations is you’re using the Leads section in Copper - is that the case? Or are you putting contacts into the People section only?

Based on your questions, it might actually be easier to export from Google Contacts, clean up the list, and then import it into Copper as spreadsheet. This will allow you to customize exactly which contacts and which information actually get added to Copper.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks Jul!