Solved

Custom Field Workflow Automation Not Working

• 9 February 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a custom field check box that I am trying to use to move an Opportunity from one stage to another.  I have the trigger field set to “When a specific field is updated on an Opportunity”, Filter conditions set to “Any of the conditions are met”, Action set to Update, Opportunity, Field #1 Pipeline, change to, Standard, my specific pipeline name. Field #2 Stage, change to, Standard, my specific stage name.

Does this level of automation not work for custom fields or am I missing the mark somewhere?

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 9 February 2023, 22:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MPowell! We’ve been chatting in the other thread, but I’m going work with you in this one to keep things clean. I’m gonna copy/paste you last response to make sure we have all the info in one place.

Automation is “Move to Order Shipped”, I also have “Released”  both of these are designed to move the opportunity to another stage.

I have a custom field check box that I am trying to use to move an Opportunity from one stage to another.  I have the trigger field set to “When a specific field is updated on an Opportunity”, Filter conditions set to “Any of the conditions are met”, Action set to Update, Opportunity, Field #1 Pipeline, change to, Standard, my specific pipeline name. Field #2 Stage, change to, Standard, my specific stage name.

Does this level of automation not work for custom fields or am I missing the mark somewhere?

“When a Specific Field Is Updated on an Opportunity” does work with custom fields, so that wouldn’t be the issue.

So I’m looking at your “Move to Order Shipped” workflow automation rule from the back end here, and I see that it’s actually run successfully several in the last couple of hours! Can you confirm if your opportunities have moved accordingly?

I’ve also set up an equivalent workflow automation in my demo account, and it seems to work great. This is what it looks like:

For the workflow rule called “Release” - it looks like that one also ran successfully earlier today.

Would you mind maybe creating a test opportunity and checking off that checkbox? And let’s see if it moves stages. When I did it in my demo account, it moved within 10 seconds or so after I checked the box.

Michelle,

I tested it a whole bunch this morning… When I refreshed the page they do not move.  I just tried and refreshed my page a few times and it did move.  Maybe I wasn’t waiting long enough?  At one point I closed Copper and got back in and it hadn’t moved, but possibly it was an issue on my end.

I will continue to test it out tomorrow.  Your affirmation that it does work is hugely helpful!  I will update this thread either way tomorrow.

Your quick responses are very much appreciated.

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@MPowell gotcha, sounds like it was just taking our system longer than usual, and that there was no issue with the setup of your automation rule. The vast majority of the time, workflow automation works within seconds. However, we do occasionally get high-traffic times where it might bleed into minutes.

Anyways, let me know how your testing today goes. In the meantime, I’m going to mark my previous response as “Best Answer” so that others can find it easily. But we’ll still be able to continue our discussion in this thread.

Michelle,

I did some testing this morning and still having issues.  I have an automation called “Started Up”, and I have an opportunity (Denver Reception) that is not moving to the next stage… what am I getting tripped up on?

Thank you again for the help!​​

Michelle,

I think I found one of the issues.  I am catching up a lot of my opportunities with our new custom fields.  Several of the custom fields have automations.  When I clicked the automation fields out of sequence; i.e. checking a box that would move it forward, then checking a box that moves it back, it stays in the stage that is for the last automation field checked.  It does not appear to be looking at the rule that moves it to the stage “farthest to the right”.  It appears to just look at the last field checked.  Is that accurate?  I think I may need to add additional trigger conditions that include the previous check boxes…  Does that explanation make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MPowell! Sounds like a fair bit of complexity with all your different automation rules. I think the best thing to do is to get on a call, because this level of complexity is really hard to work through in a forum thread. I will be in touch with you over email about setting something up.