Question

Can you attach one person to multiple companies?

• 7 October 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a business owner that owns multiple companies. Can I attach him to them without creating duplicate records? 

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @TerritoryFoods Lea Our person record type is a 1:1 relationship so a person can only be associated with one company. If you want to avoid having unique Person records for each account they are associated with you can use a custom field called Connect Field. 

From our Help Center, we define Connect Fields as “a custom relationship between a single record and multiple other records. If you need to go beyond using the 'Related' section of a record profile to define why these records are related, or if you need to create a 1:many relationship between records, connect fields are here for you.” It can have up to 30 connections so I assume that would be ample room for what you’re looking to achieve. 

I created a person-to-company Connect Field in my demo account to show you what this would look like. From Settings I created the following custom field in my Person record type:

Then I tagged my Person record to a few sample companies that looks like the following in Copper:

Of course, you could rename these fields to be suit your needs. This solution would allow you to tag a Primary or Main company with that Person record while easily connecting to the other companies.

Please let me know if this solves the problem for you or if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Natalie Stambro