Question

Avoiding past opportunities showing in autosuggest

• 12 January 2023
  • 6 replies

So I have set up a pipeline for new opps and we work through them and eventually set one to “won”. At that point we clone and make a new card on our next pipeline to work with the client. 

Well today I was trying to add a contact to the new card, and it autosuggested both the old “won” card and the active card. Worse in Gmail it only showed the first words, so I can’t tell which is which. 

I would NEVER want to have the “won” card suggested once it’s cloned and moved. I figure I could delete these, but I rememeber there being a reason not to. 

I really don’t want something suggested that is not active, can I remedy this? Am I making sense? 

Thank you in advance

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

What we do in this case is actually rename the "won" opportunity in the prior pipeline to have some type of prefix to show that it's separate and archived.

e.g. "ABC Corp Opportunity" -> "[A] ABC Corp Opportunity" (A for archived, or use X/V for archived) or use a prefix for the pipeline it's in, so if it's the sales pipeline, make it [ S ].

Agree that it would be nice for Copper to show more visually when an opportunity is won/lost/abandoned in search, even having the status tag show next to (probably more importantly, the current pipeline) it so that it is more clear.

Why shouldn’t I just delete it? That is what is driving me nutz coming from trello. Why can’t it just “move” to the next pipeline like I do when it’s not a “won”/”Lost” - That would make more sense...having to clone it, is very unintuitive. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I mean any specific notes or activities logged on that opportunity will be lost if you delete it. Any reporting for that specific pipeline will be lost if you delete it or move it to the other pipeline…

You can, in the workflow automation, simply have it update and move to the other pipeline and update the status just like you're describing, so not 100% sure what the problem is. It sounds like you're duplicating to preserve reporting capabilities and historical tracking, but what is more important to you is just moving it, so go ahead and move it. Opportunities can easily move between pipelines.

The part I don’t get is why are notes lost if you move it to another pipeline...it’s the same “card” for lack of a better term. Seems like it should just move where i want it and take the info with it! :) 

I want to track sales, and details. Yes. 

I want to perserve notes and activity. Yes

I don’t get why I need too duplicate a card to do that. Sorry I know I am knew to this, but we have used other “boards” for our pipelines, most recently trello and it was so nice to have a card go anywhere and perserve all that info. 

I don’t want when I search to see the same card in my search results, or dupes of it. I only want to see the active one in search. I only just realized this today when I was trying to add a contact to a opportunity and I had to figure out which version of the same opportunity I needed to add it to. 

In our system, we run tours, a opp comes in, we sell it, then when it’s sold it goes to the active pipeline...it’s no longer a selling opp it’s an acitve tour. Eventually that goes to the finished/wrap up pipeline. I can’t see why someone would want to move an opp through any series of pipelines but lose information. I also can’t see why I would ever want to keep a copy of the same info in another pipeline. Finally I have no clue why I would search and want to see the 3 or more ‘cards’ show up...since only the last one will hypothetically have all the history with that client on it. 

I know I’m missing something! And thank you for your help. I just dont’ see at this point what the point of the duplicates are other than because Copper doesn’t record anything in the back end. Why shouldn’t we be able to archive opps/cards/cases and not have them show in search unless we ask? 

Maybe my problem is a square peg round hole situation. :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The part I don’t get is why are notes lost if you move it to another pipeline...it’s the same “card” for lack of a better term. Seems like it should just move where i want it and take the info with it! :) 

If you are simply moving an opportunity from one pipeline to another, notes will not be lost. One recommendation is to log notes like phone calls and such to the people record, as they will flow through to the company entity and also the opportunity they are related to. It’s less common that you would log something on the opportunity, unless you want the note to be totally siloed specifically to that opportunity.

What you’re describing is happening, should not be happening. What might be happening is that you’re creating a new opportunity in a new pipeline and the people/companies aren’t being related to the new opportunity, thus their notes/activities logged are no longer showing up under the new opportunity. If it’s the same opportunity and just being moved to a different pipeline, all activity will continue to live on the opportunity.

I want to track sales, and details. Yes. 

I want to perserve notes and activity. Yes

I don’t get why I need too duplicate a card to do that. Sorry I know I am knew to this, but we have used other “boards” for our pipelines, most recently trello and it was so nice to have a card go anywhere and perserve all that info. 

It’s only if you want to be super specific about the reports you are trying to run. For example, show me how much revenue has been won in the Sales pipeline, well, if you move a sales opportunity out of the sales pipeline, reporting wouldn’t know to report on that opportunity anymore.

Maybe instead of creating a duplicate opportunity in the new pipeline, what if you moved the opportunity that has all the data and notes, and you created more of an “archived” opportunity in the former pipeline, making it clear that it is archived. So it’s the same main opportunity with all the notes and everything, and the duplicated opportunity is more of just a dummy opportunity used only for historical reporting on the former pipeline (this is what I was suggesting in the first comment).

I don’t want when I search to see the same card in my search results, or dupes of it. I only want to see the active one in search. I only just realized this today when I was trying to add a contact to a opportunity and I had to figure out which version of the same opportunity I needed to add it to. 

Genuinely though, why not just move the opportunity instead of duplicating it? It sounds like you’d be happier doing it this way anyway, maybe duplicating it is introducing unneeded complexity for your specific situation. Treat it more like Trello in that sense.

In our system, we run tours, a opp comes in, we sell it, then when it’s sold it goes to the active pipeline...it’s no longer a selling opp it’s an acitve tour. Eventually that goes to the finished/wrap up pipeline. I can’t see why someone would want to move an opp through any series of pipelines but lose information. I also can’t see why I would ever want to keep a copy of the same info in another pipeline. Finally I have no clue why I would search and want to see the 3 or more ‘cards’ show up...since only the last one will hypothetically have all the history with that client on it. 

I know I’m missing something! And thank you for your help. I just dont’ see at this point what the point of the duplicates are other than because Copper doesn’t record anything in the back end. Why shouldn’t we be able to archive opps/cards/cases and not have them show in search unless we ask? 

Maybe my problem is a square peg round hole situation. :)

This is the case for every single CRM on the market. Maybe try simplifying the process and walking before you run a bit? Getting use and adoption should be the #1 goal, you can add complexity to get the type of reports you want later maybe?

If you move the main opportunity and create duplicates in the prior pipeline, and just have a clear marker at the beginning of the opportunity showing that it is “archived” that would genuinely be your best bet. It’s what we do for our customers and everyone we’ve done this for is happy with the reporting and experience.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit more.

Alex

It does, I wasn’t even thinking of reporting yet. Honestly I was just trying to move things, and now have a few more options. So that is good. We’re just trying to get our workflow first, and then we’ll see what reports we can have, and then we’ll readjust if the reports are not right. 

Thank you so much for your time!