Question

Automatization of the Users in the pipeline (creating opportunities automatically)

• 14 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello community, hows going?

Im new in Copper and just starting to get used to it.

Yesterday i sent my first 50 bulk emails and created my pipeline in opportunities.

I was wondering if its possible to automate and send those 50 contacts to the first stage of the pipeline.

Maybe changing the type of contact I think but i couldnt do it.

Would be really helpful for me!

thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lalbanell, welcome to Copper and to our community! :blush:

We might be able to do this using Workflow Automation. But before we dive into that I’d like to clarify what you mean by “contact” - are those stored as People or Leads in your Copper system?

Thank you!

Thanks for your answer!!

They are stored as people, yesterday i first upload the companies and then the people. I started with 50 just to try and then send them a bulk email.

But now im trying to figure out which is the best way to add them to the pipline so i can have control.

Whats the difference between people or lead in copper, i dont see the leads part.

One option is to upload again the people into opportunities ? but i think that might be an easier way to solve that.

Waiting for your answer.

Thanks,

Luca

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lalbanell great, thanks for the additional info! Now that we know your contacts are stored as People, there are two ways to proceed. We can either importing opportunities or create a workflow automation to create those opportunities. If this is a one-time thing, then importing them will be easier. If you see yourself needing to do this over and over again, I recommend a workflow automation to save yourself work in the long run.

Creating opportunities via import

You can use the same file that you used to import the People, but make sure to have these columns:

• Opportunity name
  • Pipeline
  • Stage (in your case you would add the name of the first stage of your pipeline)
  • Status (Choose from Open, Lost, Won, or Abandoned)
  • Value (this is optional; you don’t need to include this if you don’t have this info yet)
  • Owner (i.e. which user in your system should this opportunity be assigned to?)
  • Primary Contact (this would be name of the contact this opportunity is associated with. Make sure it is exactly the same name as when you imported the contacts)
  • Company (optional, based on whether this is relevant to your use case. Again, make sure it is exactly the same company name as any existing company in your system)

From there you can simply go to Settings > Manage Your Data > Import Data > Import Opportunities. From there it’s the same process as when you imported those contacts.

Creating opportunities via workflow automation

To save yourself work in the long run, you can have the system automatically create opportunities for you. You mentioned contact types - you can set up a workflow automation that creates an opportunity every time a Person’s contact type is change to Potential Customer, for example. You may want to check out our introduction to workflow automation, but I’ll put some more specific steps below.

To create a workflow automation, you’ll go to Settings > Automation > Workflow Automation > Add workflow. Then give your workflow a name.

Your trigger would look like this:

This says that any time a Person’s contact type is changed to Potential Customer, do Action 1.

Your action would look like this:

This defines what the opportunity will look like.

Pipeline, Stage, and Status are pretty straightforward here. I’ll explain Name and Owner.

For Name - Use a Formula - CONCAT(name,' - potential deal') , this means it will take the name of the Person and add “ - potential deal” to the end to generate the opportunity’s name. So if you added me as a Person (Michelle Lee) then it would create an opportunity called “Michelle Lee - potential deal”

For Owner - Use a Formula - assignee_id , this will check who owns the Person and assign the opportunity to them as well.

That was probably more info than you needed but I hope it makes sense! I have to hop into a meeting so I’ll address your question about Leads vs People in a separate comment.