Question

Attach the same set if tasks to every opportunity

• 17 March 2022
  • 1 reply

For each opportunity in each step of the pipeline, I want to attach the same set of tasks. 

I set-up a project with all the tasks, but I don’t see how to attach the project to the opportunity.  I also don’t see how the Project template would help, since it only contains three fields. 

Please advise the best way to have the same group of tasks launched for each opportunity.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lindae, thanks for posting! Sounds like there are a couple of parts to your question, so I’ll break this up into sections.

For each opportunity in each step of the pipeline, I want to attach the same set of tasks. 

Great! This is a very common use case for workflow automation. Basically, you can set up a rule that says: each time an Opp enters X stage, create these Tasks (or a Project).

Based on what you’ve said, I’d recommend creating Tasks instead of Projects for this. That’s because when you add a Project to an Opportunity, you can’t directly see the underlying Tasks. You’d have to click into the Project first to look at the Tasks.

I’ll still answer your questions about Projects at the bottom. But let’s dive into that workflow automation.

Using Workflow Automation to set up Tasks as soon as an Opportunity enters a certain stage of the Pipeline

I’ll walk you through one example here and then you would create a separate Workflow Automation for each Pipeline stage or set of Tasks.

First, go to Settings > Automation > Workflow Automation > Add Workflow.

You’ll see three boxes on the page: Name, Trigger, and Action 1. Trigger and Action you can think of being two parts of this statement: when X happens (Trigger), do Y (Action).

So we want to build a Trigger and Action that says: when an Opportunity enters a certain stage, create these Tasks.

This is what that Trigger and Action looks like:

This Trigger says: when an Opportunity is in the “Sales” Pipeline and in the “Qualified” Stage of that Pipeline, do Action 1.

Action 1 says: create a Task with these attributes:

• Name: “Do background research”
  • Owner: assignee_id - this sets it to whoever owns the Opportunity
  • Due date: DATEADD(CURRENTDATE(),3) - this formulas sets it to 3 days from today
  • Due time: Noon
  • Activity Type: To Do

When you’re working with a formula or variable, remember to flip where it says “Standard” to “Use a Formula”. A full list of variables and formulas is available here.

If you have multiple Tasks for that Pipeline stage, you can click the Add Action button in the next box.

When you’re done setting up your Trigger and Actions, click Save and turn that workflow rule on.

The next time you move an Opportunity into that Pipeline stage, the system will create that Task or set of Tasks for you!

By the way, we have a weekly live Q&A for workflow automation questions. And we have an intro video here.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. :slight_smile:

Your questions about Projects

I set-up a project with all the tasks, but I don’t see how to attach the project to the opportunity.

To attach a project manually, go to the Related section of an Opp. Under Calendar Events, you’ll see a box for Projects and you can click the + button or “Add Project”

From there, you can either attach and existing Project or create a new one, which will then get attached.

As mentioned above, you can also automatically create and attach a Project whenever that Opp enters a certain stage.

I also don’t see how the Project template would help, since it only contains three fields. 

By fields, do you mean the boxes that say “To Do,” “In Progress,” and “Done” ? If so, you can actually add more sections by toggling the “Edit Layout” toggle button.

If by field you meant the boxes that contain a piece of information (e.g. Due Date, Priority Level, Description), you can add more fields to Projects and Tasks through Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Projects or Tasks > Create Field.