Question

Report on time to close opportunities

• 17 November 2022
  • 7 replies

HI, 

I’m trying to create a report/insight into how long it is taking opportunites to move through the pipeline. I have created the automation to show the number of days in each stage- but I’m stuck on pulling a report on average time to close. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jtagliaferro, thanks for posting! To clarify, are you looking for the average time from open to close, or the average time an opportunity spent in each stage?

If it’s the average time for each stage, then go ahead and follow the steps in the video below; it walks you through building a report of average days in a stage after you’ve build those workflow automations.

Note: the sounds is not great on that one, so I recommend turning on the captions.

If you need the average days from the day of the Opportunity’s creation all the way to its close, you’ll want to make sure you have a custom field and workflow automation to fill that information in. It sounds like you have automations for filling out the days in a specific stage - this automation is very similar, except it counts the entire lifecycle of the opportunity rather than just one particular stage.

Once you have that set up, follow the same steps in the video below. Except drag and drop the field for Days from Open to Close, rather than the fields for each individual stage.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Hi! I’m trying to setup the workflow automation and I keep getting this error- any thoughts on how to fix?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jtagliaferro! The system is confused because it thinks you are trying to change the name of the Opportunity. Go ahead and delete the Name row from Action 1 - just hover over it and you’ll see a garbage can icon.

Thank you!! I figured it was something small I was missing! 

Sorry! I have another question. The automation seems to be working and I can see the number of Days to close on the opportunity record. 

I’m in the insight builder and I have created an graph with the median days in each stage- but I don’t see the Days to close as an option on the left. 

The only option when I search for days is number of days in each stage. 

Any thoughts on how to make it an option in the insight builder?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jtagliaferro Ah, it sounds like you haven’t added the Days to Close field to the reporting system. You can do that by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner and selecting Configure Custom Fields.

Make sure you go to the Opportunities tab and then select “Add a field” under the Metrics section.

Make sure you click Save Changes afterwards!

Now, once you Save, you’ll need to wait until the next data refresh until it actually becomes available to use. So I would do it now, and then again tomorrow.

You’ll also want to make sure that at least one Opportunity has its Days to Close filled out with a number. 

Let me know if I understood your question correctly :)

Can you please put the link for the original video as well with All custom fields and Workflow automation?