Question

Running Reports for Internal Use

• 29 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Our company uses copper to track leads for franchise opportunities as well as house contact information for existing franchise owners. We would like to run reports based on geographical location. What would be our steps to take in order to be able to use these orders for our internal use?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Helen.Roe, thanks for the question! Just to clarify, when you say geographical location, is that a custom field or a default field? And if it’s a custom field, what type is it (e.g. dropdown, text field, etc)?

It sounds like you’re looking for a list of all People who are in a certain geographical region. And you maybe want to display certain attributes about them.

If that’s the case, there are two ways to generate that kind of list depending on what kind of field you’re filtering on. So let me know what kind of field you’re storing geographical information in.

In the meantime, I’ll leave some info on the two main options: apply a filter to your list view or create a Report.

Using a filter & list view

The simplest thing to do is to apply a filter to your list view.

So you could apply a filter for State = California, for example. Then, if you want your teammates to use the same filter, you can save that filter (make sure you make it a Public filter so others can see it).

Note, if you create a filter and someone else opens it, they won’t necessarily see the same columns as you. They will have to adjust the columns in their view. 

Building a table in Reports

You could also build a table in Reports. But, there are a couple of downsides to doing it this way:

1. Only admins can see the report directly. You’d have to share it with non-admins through export or scheduled email.
  2. It doesn’t have a live data feed - it refreshes twice a day currently, so your Report might be a few hours out of date.

The upsides:

1. You can cross-reference data from different record types. So in a single table, you could have columns for Person’s Name, Person’s Email, and Company’s City.
  2. You can create Dashboards that include numerous graphs and charts for a more comprehensive view.

If you’re interested in this option, I recommend checking out this introductory video and article. And if you prefer live help, we host a weekly reporting Q&A.