Question

Creating a Conversion Report: Team Members

Hello @Natalie from Copper and @Michelle from Copper

I have a followup question.  So I may need to change the information on the conversion report from “owner”  to “team member” or even owners and team members.  How do I change this to see the success of each team member? I have it set up as 1 user but 2 team members and may add more team members before I add more owners. I would like to see how the team member is doing on lead conversion (won/loss/abandon) but cant seem to see how to separate out the team member to view.  The advice you gave to create a conversion report was excellent and easy to follow hoping this is just an “add” to that report or a 2nd report is fine too. Also, not sure if this is important, I have manager status and I have given my assistant just member status.

Thank you,

Kelly

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kelly is Here, thanks for posting! And I apologize for the longer-than-normal response time; we had a long weekend up here in Canada.

Natalie’s not available to answer, so I’ll need to review what you guys had set up previous before I can make a suggestion.  In the meantime, can you answer the question below?

Now, it sounds like you have multiple people logging into Copper through the same account, is that right? If that’s the case - how do you tell who is in charge of which Leads and Opportunities? For example, do you add a tag for each Lead that belongs to Team Member A? Or perhaps you have a custom dropdown so that you can indicate whether it’s Team Member A or B? (sidenote: I would recommend a custom dropdown for this.)

How you differentiate them is important for the report, since we need to split each Team Member into their own row on the table (or their own bar on the graph).

Hi @Michelle from Copper,

Thank you for your response!  No worries, hope you had a nice vacation😀

Myself and my team member have our own logins but we use the same system. We are both in charge or lead conversion equally, I just manage the account and they are assisting me.  Once a lead is converted to an opportunity we do not touch the contact anymore it is moved on to a completely different department.  We only need to know the lead to opportunity conversion rate (won/loss/abandon). 

I was not sure if I also needed to change something in my system because it shows which team member makes calls etc but when converted it all falls under me which it should not. 

I do not know about the dropdown option can you please explain further? What is the benefit of this?  if we are both working a lead equally to convert would the dropdown be upon conversion?

Thank you!

Kelly

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kelly is Here, I just want to make sure I understand - your team consists of yourself and another user. You are both equally responsible for each Lead. In that case, who is the official “Owner” for that Lead? Is it always you?

When you create a report that shows the success of each rep, one of the most important things is making sure each Lead is clearly assigned to one specific user at a time. In most cases, we use the Owner field for this. So the easiest thing to do would be to make sure the Owner field is appropriately assigned to either yourself or to your colleague. This is basically saying: who gets credit for this conversion?

It gets trickier when you have multiple users working on each Lead. You would have to add an additional field to capture who is assisting with the deal. This is where the dropdown would come into play; it would allow you to indicate who is helping with which Lead. And then you could generate a report based who helped out with which Leads.

To be completely honest, it would be much easier to simply update the existing Owner field and fully assign some Leads to yourself and others to your colleague. This way, you wouldn’t need to make any changes to your existing report - it will automatically add a row for your colleague’s Leads/Opportunities.

You mentioned that when you convert a Lead, the associated Opportunity is assigned to you. Is this because the Lead was also technically assigned to you? If you begin assigning Leads to your colleague, that ownership will flow through to the conversion.

Anyways, let me know if that makes sense!

Hello @Michelle from Copper,

Thank you for your response.  To answer your questions, yes we equally share the leads and the responsibility of contacting every one(for now).  However, I do review the activity of my assistant and want to be able to check the level of performance.  So changing ownership prior to lead conversion sounds like the best option.  

For assigning leads, since I manage and they are a team member, can we both assign leads?  Can only I assign leads to them?  Do we each see the leads and who they are assigned to?

Lastly, since we have converted some leads that should have been assigned to them but are currently assigned to me, If I change the ownership of the opportunity then it will show on my report which leads were converted by each of us, is that right?

Thank you for all your help!

Kelly

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kelly is Here let’s work through each of your questions.

For assigning leads, since I manage and they are a team member, can we both assign leads?  Can only I assign leads to them?

Great question! The default setting allows any user to assign Leads. You can block non-admins from changing the Owner on a Lead (or Company/Opportunity/etc). I see that you are an admin and your colleague is not, so if you enable your setting, you can assign Leads while they cannot.

To do this, you need to change the Record Edit Rules. Go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields On Records > Leads. Find the Owner field and change its Record Edit Rule to Read Only.

Once that’s done, any non-admins in your system will be block from editing the Owner field on Leads.

Do we each see the leads and who they are assigned to?

Yes! By default everybody can see all the Lead and who they are assigned to.

If you open up a Lead, you’ll see a field called Owner. This is who the Lead is assigned to.

If you have a list of Leads, you can filter or sort it so that it only shows your Leads.

There is a way to “block” your colleague from seeing Leads that have been assigned to you. But since two are working collaboratively, I don’t recommend it for your situation.

If I change the ownership of the opportunity then it will show on my report which leads were converted by each of us, is that right?

The report will show create the table based on who current owns the Opportunity. So if your colleague converted the Lead but the Opportunity is assigned to you then it will show it as belonging to you in the report. But generally, the user who owns the unconverted Lead also owns the resulting Opportunity (unless someone has edited the owner). Since assigning ownership is a new process for you, I recommend you take a look at your recent Opportunities and Leads to make sure they are assigned to the correct user.

I hope that helps!