Question

Calendar Event activity type - what is the source?

• 15 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I think that the “Calendar Event” activity type is intended to relate to any event that occurred in the past that has at least one Person or Lead listed as an attendee at that event.

But, when I view the Activity by User Legacy Report, the counts are much higher than I would expect. 

For example, when I filter on the current week, I see a count of 6 activities of type “Calendar Event” but my synced Google Calendar only has two events that included an attendee that is a Lead or Person in Copper.

I haven’t found a way to “show me the 6 calendar event activities” that are referenced in that legacy report, which makes this challenge to determine what might be causing the unexpectedly high count.

Has anyone else run into this inflated activity count for Calendar Event types?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @bkelly, that’s an interesting observation. Did you have multiple Copper users who were invited to those two events? It’s possible the system counts each attendee as its own occurrence. So if two colleagues attend the same meeting, it might be counted twice; once as an activity for User A and then another activity for User B.

It might help if you can look at what happens when you filter for activities that happened today or yesterday. That way, you can cross reference the number of Calendar Events in the report with the number of events in Google Calendar.

Let me know if that made sense. If that does end up being the case I’ll have to talk to the product team about it.

Userlevel 1

Hi @bkelly, that’s an interesting observation. Did you have multiple Copper users who were invited to those two events? It’s possible the system counts each attendee as its own occurrence. So if two colleagues attend the same meeting, it might be counted twice; once as an activity for User A and then another activity for User B.

It might help if you can look at what happens when you filter for activities that happened today or yesterday. That way, you can cross reference the number of Calendar Events in the report with the number of events in Google Calendar.

Hi @Michelle from Copper, filtering the Activity by User (Legacy Reports) to a single day and cross-checking with Google Calendar was a helpful suggestion. It looks like Copper is considering an internal meeting (only attended by individuals with our company domain email) as a Calendar Event activity.

Is that behavior expected?

I assumed that Calendar Event activities were only “picked up” by Copper if one of the meeting attendees had an email corresponding in a Person or Lead record.

Perhaps related: These internal meetings also show up on my dashboard under the date on the right hand side.

I have a hunch of what might be happening: At one point, some of our internal company users without Copper accounts were added as a lead or person in Copper. Those records have since been deleted, but perhaps Copper is seeing their email on one of Copper users’ calendars and then logging the event.

That’s my best guess, and it lines up with what I’ve seen: especially the internal meeting showing up on my Copper dashboard when none of the attendees have a corresponding Person or Lead record. (At least not one that wasn’t already deleted.) Sounds like a bug.

We’re having the same problem on our end. Copper is syncing all calendar events, internal meetings and client facing meetings which is misrepresenting the Sales team activity. 

How can we set up Copper to only consider the calendar events associated with Clients that are in the database?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Kevin from Copper - Can you address this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Ken from Copper this type of filtering is unfortunately not available in the Legacy Reports. The product team is already hardat work to replace these legacy activity reports, which will have more options for filtering.

@Ken from Copper @Kevin from Copper 

Is there a way to disable the event calendar altogether? so that our team can track meetings using the Activity Log. Rather than have inflated metrics as records.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Delphine there is currently not a way to disable the calendar sync. One alternative is to set up a custom activity type and log the meeting notes under that.

copy that! and already done. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the updates. I understand that this is a known bug in Activity by User (Legacy Reports), but I also wanted to point out that it appears to affect the “Keeping Things Moving” section on my User Dashboard. Here’s a screenshot that shows two internal meetings on my calendar (today and tomorrow @ noon) and one external meeting (tomorrow @ 3 pm).

Clicking “Prepare” on either of the first two does nothing.

Clicking “Prepare” on the third one opens the lead detail page as expected.

Screenshot from my Copper dashboard with my notes (red/green text): I did not expect to see the first two meetings to display as they only have internal, company participants (without any corresponding lead/person in Copper)