July 15, 2022 - Custom field creation on records and support improvements

July 15, 2022 - Custom field creation on records and support improvements

This week, we added an “add new field” button to add custom fields directly on records. We’ve also made improvements to our support experience.

Custom fields

Admins and account owners can now create new custom fields directly in Person, Opportunity or Company records.

Previously, all custom fields needed to be added in your Copper customization settings. Now, whenever you identify missing data that you want to add to a record, you can simple click “Add a new field” - saving you time and without losing context. From there, you can select the type of field, the name, and which records you want it to appear on.

To add a new field, look for the grey button in the “detail” list while previewing the record in the side tray, or on the bottom left of the record when in full page view.

Add a new custom field within a Person, Company or Opportunity record, then choose where the field should appear.

The button only appears to admins and account owners. Editing or removing custom fields can be done by heading to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records.

Support

The Copper support team has been hard at work upgrading your support experience. You can now:

• Have quick questions answered by our AI-powered assistant, or talk to a real person. We’ve invested resources into achieving faster response times.

• Chat with our support team from anywhere! You can start a conversation on desktop, then continue your conversation via email via notifications within the Copper mobile app.

• Find resources faster, from training documents, webinars, how-to guides and release notes.

On desktop, click the pink help icon in the bottom right corner. On mobile, click the settings menu, then click “Help & Support.”

The pink help icon in the bottom right corner has everything you need to become a Copper expert.

As part of our improvement efforts, the small grey help icon in the top right corner of the web app has been removed. Release notes are now also housed within the help portal. If you want to receive release notes via email as soon as they are available, head over to Copper Community, then click the “Subscribe” button.

Is there any way to hide the "add new field" button behind the 3 dot overflow menu?

As someone that has all of their fields nailed down (we, and our customers maybe add 2-3 new custom fields per year, if any) so it's taking up valuable vertical resource space in the custom fields column which is a bit tight as it is.

Appreciate this functionality as it's thoughtful, but having it be a shortcut under the ... Menu (where you go to delete/modify custom fields) on a record would be more ideal.

It just feels way too prominent now for something that might be used a lot to start and then not at all, for years.

@alex There’s not currently a way to hide it but I’ll bring it up with the product team!

I feel it is missing an add existing custom fields to the column. Adding new fields is helpful and I agree it should be placed under the 3 dots, but also adding additional fields that might be under a different pipeline would also be beneficial rather than creating another new field. 

@KmacAus thanks for the feedback! I want to make sure I understand. In your example, it sounds like you have an existing custom field on Pipeline 1. You’re saying you would like the option to apply that same custom field to Pipeline 2?

This option already exists if you navigate into the Field Settings page. But if I understand correctly, you’re suggesting we also add it to new “Add a new field” option when you view a record.

Let me know if I got that right! If so I can forward it to the Product team.

@KmacAus thanks for the feedback! I want to make sure I understand. In your example, it sounds like you have an existing custom field on Pipeline 1. You’re saying you would like the option to apply that same custom field to Pipeline 2?

This option already exists if you navigate into the Field Settings page. But if I understand correctly, you’re suggesting we also add it to new “Add a new field” option when you view a record.

Let me know if I got that right! If so I can forward it to the Product team.

Hi Michelle, that sounds right to me as well based on what they are saying, and I also agree with what they are saying.

One layer deeper here though is not just pipelines. But also, existing custom fields on other entity types, and enabling them for the current entity.

The way it is currently implemented makes it easier to “create new” custom fields, but essentially encourages not the greatest of data-consistency.

For example, say you go to create a new field called “Industry”, it would be nice to say “hey, you already have a field that is named something similar (e.g. Industries), would you like to enable that for this entity as well? Or create a new field? (A prompt like that would help with data consistency across the board).

We have been in no shortage of accounts with countless duplicate fields with nearly the same data and naming, which just fragments the data pretty heavily.

All that to say, there’s just fear around making it easier to “add a new custom field”, when in many instances, actually extending an existing custom field, or enabling an existing custom field, is often the preferred solution.