Solved

Best way to work with an email list?

• 23 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m going to a trade show and have received a list of emails to send a one-time message to as an introduction and an invitation to our booth.

I’m imagining that the best way to do this would be to import the list as leads, the list is approximately 1500 contacts.

From there I could send out a single message sequence from the marketing tools section?

These contacts are obviously not customers and I don’t want them in my people/companies list yet but not sure how to communicate through Copper or if I should use a different third party application like MailChimp?

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 23 February 2023, 17:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mrsethwilson, thanks for posting! Yes, it sounds like you have some good preliminary thoughts on how to do this. Since you are on the Business tier then you can absolutely use Marketing Tools to send out a blast. Otherwise, I’d recommend either using bulk email (but you’d have to split the list into sections of 200, and send it over 2 days) or Mailchimp (but you’ll have to set up a separate account/subscription with them).

The first step will be to import those contacts. Then you can use the import tag to add them to the single-email email sequence.

Alternatively, you could give them a separate tag through import or bulk edit. This might make it easier to track later on, since you can choose the name of the tag instead of default import tag (e.g. “import-12345678”)

For that single email in your sequence, I recommend you set a delay of 0 days and 0 hours so that it will start sending as soon as you activate the sequence.

And, when you do the settings for that sequence, I recommend choosing “Send campaign to: New and existing people in the segment.” This will queue up everybody who already has that tag.

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@mrsethwilson I'd only be careful about sending things out to a cold list like that through the native Copper functionality (the marketing tools is fine), but the 200 limit is there for a reason in the actual direct Gmail outreach, because depending on how cold these leads are, you might be messaging spam traps, and you can really hurt your sending domain reputation.

Using marketing tools like @Michelle from Copper advised is definitely the way we'd recommend it.

One thing to definitely note, is, if you trigger these emails out based on tag appended (instead of say, Lead status), and then you go and convert the lead to a person + opportunity, Marketing Tools will see on the back-end that there's a new contact ID, and re-send the email.

So it's critical that you remove the tag used to trigger the emails before converting. Or just have the "Lead Status" change as the trigger and you won't have to deal with that.

Best of luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I agree with everything @alex mentioned. And I’ll add, I strongly recommend pausing the email sequence as soon as it’s done sending. Otherwise you risk accidentally sending that email when another contact happens to meet the criteria, such as when the Lead is converted.

I actually spoke to a customer a few days ago where something similar happened. They were triggering a one-time newsletter based on Contact Type, but they didn’t pause the sequence after. So later when they updated their contact types, those contacts received an outdated email!