Question

Mailchimp Integration [NEW] - syncing/adding certain contacts

• 19 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

It seems like the new Mailchimp Integration is automatically adding any new contacts to one of our Mailchimp audiences, compared to the “Legacy” version which allowed us to select whether a new contact would be added and to which audiences.

If I would like to be able to manually select which contacts are added, or if there is a way that I could set a rule for adding contacts based on rules/filters like their “Role,” how could I do this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @samrm, thanks for posting! We don’t currently have a way to set sync rules, although this is something the Product team is investigating. 

In the meantime, you could pause the automatic sync and simply use the “Add” button for each contact. Here are some screenshots on how to do that:

I mentioned that the Product team is looking into segmentation options - would it be ok if we sent you a survey to get your input?

Userlevel 1

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me!

It looks like “Pause Sync” would need to be checked for every contact, rather than checking it once and that applying to all contacts, is that the expected behaviour?

That is not the most convenient when multiple contacts are added/imported at the same time.

Could you please let me know what your recommendations would be?

Thanks again,

Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@samrm

It looks like “Pause Sync” would need to be checked for every contact, rather than checking it once and that applying to all contacts, is that the expected behaviour?

Hm, that is not expected behaviour… Toggling that button should pause it for all contacts. I see it’s been about 3 hours since you posted - can you check if it’s still behaving that way? If so, I recommend letting the chat support know. There might be some sort of bug or issue that they can help you troubleshoot.

That is not the most convenient when multiple contacts are added/imported at the same time.

Could you please let me know what your recommendations would be?

Yup, I can totally understand!

Generally, it’s best practice to have all your contacts in a single Mailchimp audience and then segment them using Mailchimp Tags. Here’s their help article on that.

Now, having spoken to several customers about our new Mailchimp integration, there are generally two reasons they might want to “filter” the contacts that get added to Mailchimp. Either,

1. Because they don’t want to run up their Mailchimp contact limit / charges, or
  2. Because they are not effectively segmenting their audience within Mailchimp.

Sometimes it’s both.

If your concern is #1, then unfortunately I don’t have an immediate solution for you other than to add then one-by-one using that button or simply importing into Mailchimp. Our team is looking into possible solutions here, but it will take time to plan, scope, develop, etc.

If your concern is #2, I would recommend exploring how you can use Copper data to effectively segment/tag those contacts when they do land in Mailchimp. For example, we can sync Tags from Copper to Mailchimp. You can even set up a Copper workflow automation that adds a Tag whenever a Person has a certain contact type, or is assigned to a certain rep, etc. Then when you set up your Mailchimp campaigns, you can filter your Audience using those Tags.

Let me know if that’s helpful!

Userlevel 1

Hi Michelle, 

I reached out for direct help last week via the Copper chat feature and have still not received a response.

For the time-being, I have unlinked the New Mailchimp integration, in order to prevent all new contacts added by our users from being automatically added to one of our specific Mailchimp audiences.

Would you be able to look into this further on your end?

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @samrm, that’s strange - I’m going to take a look at your chat to see what happened.

As for the Mailchimp integration, I don’t have any further suggestions. The ability to select which contacts get synced over is something that our Product team is actively investigating. So while I don’t have a “fix” for you right now, it’s possible that there will be one in the future. I recommend subscribing to our Product Updates to stay up to date - we post them every other Friday.

I want to filter the Copper people and leads that get pushed to Mailchimp as I don’t want to hit the Mailchimp limit with people and leads that I do not intend to send mail to. I want to continue to manually add people and leads to Mailchimp.

Is there a way to do this with the new integration? If I stay on the Legacy Mailchimp integration, what will happen in 2023 when the integration is not supported?

Thank you.