Solved

Are Copper Internal ID's unique across Copper Domains

• 30 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Copper team, 

We are building a service for our Copper customers that require us to store Copper custom field information. Are the used ID’s (e.g. Custom Fields, Select Field values, etc.) unique across all domains?

Same question for the functional record ID’s (e.g. Companies, People, Opportunities, etc.). This would be helpful for customers working with more than one Copper domain. 

Thanks, Jaco

icon

Best answer by alex 30 May 2023, 06:55

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

From what I recall, no IDs (even Opportunity IDs) should ever be used across accounts. Same with custom field IDs.

I even recall being in 2 separate accounts, creating a custom field in one account and then another and they were close in numbers and the second was higher (AKA pretty sure it just counts upward across all Copper accounts—never re-using custom field IDs).

Would be nice to have a confirmation for this from Copper though. Definitely always unique and never reused in a single account for certain. Pretty sure across all accounts too, but the latter should be confirmed by Copper's engineering team for certain 🧐

Note from Michelle: I’ve confirmed with our team that this is true; the IDs across all accounts are unique.

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for you response. I'm experiencing the same but just want to be sure from Copper side. @Michelle from Copper Can you please get a confirmation from Copper. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Jaco Koppelaar @alex @FS-PPS Copper Support, I will try to find out for you.

No, Copper internal IDs are not guaranteed to be unique across Copper domains. Each Copper domain represents a separate instance of Copper CRM, and the internal IDs are generated independently within each domain.

Copper internal IDs are used to uniquely identify records within a specific domain. For example, the internal ID of a contact in one Copper domain may be different from the internal ID of a contact with the same name in another Copper domain.

If you need to ensure uniqueness across Copper domains, you would typically need to use a combination of other attributes or fields, such as email addresses or external IDs, in addition to the internal ID. By using a combination of unique attributes, you can reliably identify records across different Copper domains.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Charles1232 that's not the question that the OP was asking. Only a Copper engineer can answer this question with certainty. It's not about how API's work but rather if Copper reserves unique ID's across all Copper accounts or not. Again, pretty sure they do, they just keep counting up so they will never run out of unique ID's.

This isn't a question around having the same ID for people with the same name or custom field name across separate Copper instances. Those are of course different, unique, and unrelated.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @alex

I agree with your assumption. The only thing I can think off is that if Copper itself runs in multiple instances (e.g. different data centers), it could be the case that counting is setup per instance.  So yes, we need a clear answer from the engineering team on how the ID generation works in Copper. 

Cheers, Jaco

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey all, I’ve checked internally and @alex is correct in his original comment; the IDs across all accounts are unique.

@Jaco Koppelaar @FS-PPS Copper Support 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all, 

Thank you so much! I was hoping and expecting this. 

Cheers, Jaco

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No problem @Jaco Koppelaar!

I’m going to mark Alex’s comment as Best Answer, with a note that I’ve confirmed it internally.