Question

API Integrations

• 29 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I have various question as to the capabilities of Copper. 

1. Can product and order information be imported from our API system?  
  2. Can I create a custom field for multiple products within an Opportunity record? 
  3. Can this custom field be a dropdown selecting product information imported from our API? 
  4. Can we run a report on the multiple product opportunities for each account within Copper? 

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @ahodgkin,

My first answer should be yes, but… before I can really confirm, I would need some additional information. Copper is a CRM and not an ordering system so if you have for example a lot of different products it likely doesn’t make sense to implement a 1-on-1 implementation. 

We (three60.io) are always happy to jump on a call to discuss how Copper can add value to your business. Copper implementations and integration is our core business. 

Userlevel 1

We already have the ordering system.  I need to know if we can import the information (products and order) from our ordering system into Copper.  We would need to create custom fields within opportunities where we can select products from dropdown selection.  I don’t think I’m explaining very well, so maybe it would be better to have a conversation.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ahodgkin, I’m not too familiar with the API so I’m going to answer what I can here and ping someone about the rest of the questions.

Can I create a custom field for multiple products within an Opportunity record? 

It is possible for certain use cases, but how you do it really depends on what exactly you are tracking. Here are some options:

1. If you have a limited selection of products, you can build one custom field to store the quantity of each product type. The upside is you’ll have visibility on every product type in an order/opportunity. The downside is you need to have a field for every single product type. Here’s an example:
    • Number of pencils: 1
    • Number of pens: 0
    • Number of erasers: 1
  2. You can build multiple single-select dropdowns, each of which stores the type of product. Then you can build a corresponding field for the quantity. The upside is you have flexibility to accommodate a lot of product types. The downside comes when somebody’s interested in a large number of products in a single opportunity. Example:
    • Product type 1: [Pencils]
    • Product 1 qty: 1
    • Product type 2: [Erasers]
    • Product 2 qty: 1
  3. You can build a multi-select field for the types of products. The downside here is you can’t pull multi-select fields into Copper’s reporting system and it’s more challenging to track the quantities for each product.
    • Products: [Pencils],[Erasers]

Now, it gets much tricker when you have an extensive product offerings and SKUs, etc. Copper is not designed to store product information, so users will often just add a URL or reference number for an external ordering system.

Can we run a report on the multiple product opportunities for each account within Copper?

Yes, as long as your product information is stored in the form of single-select drop-downs and numbers. As mentioned above, multi-select dropdowns cannot be pulled into the reporting system.

The exact setup depends on what you’re trying to achieve. It sounds like you’d like to have a view of the opportunities (and associated products) that each account/company has ordered? Example below -

Company Opportunity Number of pencils Number of pens Number of Erasers
Acme Spring Order 1 0 1
Acme Fall Order 0 1 0

Let me know if I’m understanding your situation correctly. In the meantime I’ll grab one of our API guys for you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@ahodgkin here are responses to your API related questions

1- Can product and order information be imported from our API system?

• You can use the API to create and update records in Copper. It would need to be in format similar to the one suggested by Michelle in the above post

3- Can this custom field be a dropdown selecting product information imported from our API

• All fields, including custom dropdown, can be updated on a record via the API

Caution: Do not use the API to create new options on the custom dropdown fields, as there is a known bug that can lead to data corruption. Add new options only via the web-app UI.

Userlevel 1

I’m still not clear if Copper can do what we need.  Is it possible to talk with someone?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ahodgkin we host a weekly Q&A session on Thursdays. I’ll be hosting it this week and I don’t see any other registrants yet - if you register I’ll be happy to talk through your use case during that time.

Here’s the registration link. We go live Thursdays at 9:30am PST.

Userlevel 1

Perfect!  I will register.  Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ahodgkin great, see you tomorrow!