Solved

Why don't some email addresses show up in list view?

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Inspirational User
  • 25 replies

I went to send a bulk email of archived opportunities, and some of the primary contact’s email addresses were not showing up in the list view...but when I checked their profile page, their email does show up…

I need these emails to go out, but will they?

Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 29 April 2022, 21:59

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ARCO thanks for posting! I’m going to check something in your account before I dive into an answer. Hang tight :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ARCO, I believe I have an answer here.

There is no field for Email on Opportunities - at least not by default. It looks you you or another admin created a Custom Field called “email” (lower case) on Opportunities. That in itself isn’t a problem. But the thing is, that field kind of just… exists. It doesn’t get populated or updated by the system automatically.

So what’s happening is, you’re looking at Opportunities expecting the system to populate “email” (the custom field). In reality, there’s no actual connection between that field and the Work Email/Personal Email/Other Email that you see on a Person’s record.

Now, you said your larger goal is to send a bulk email to all the People associated with an archived/abandoned Opportunity. Unfortunately, there’s no way to use filters to do this en masse - you would have to open each Opp and view/email the associated People.

Edit for clarity: it is possible to send a Bulk Email to Primary Contacts based on a selection/filter of Opportunities. However, this would send to only to the Primary Contact for each of those Opps, not all the associated Contacts. See my next reply in this thread for details.

(Sidenote, there is a way to do this using Email Sequences/Marketing Tools - you would tag all those archived Opps and can automatically send an email to the Primary Contact. This is available on our Business tier)

Anyways I hope that helps to clarify things!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Michelle….thank you!! What you explained totally makes sense! When I looked at our Archived opportunities in List view, I saw a column called email (lower case), which I assumed was the same email information as the person’s Work Email.

Could I correct this in the future by populating that “email” field for the opportunity with the primary contact’s Work Email address? I know it would be double entry, but then the bulk email option would work...is that correct?

I don’t think we have the Business Tier plan, and I know my boss already thinks Copper is overpriced….so no chance in changing that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ARCO great, glad we got to the bottom of it!

Could I correct this in the future by populating that “email” field for the opportunity with the primary contact’s Work Email address? I know it would be double entry, but then the bulk email option would work...is that correct?

That wouldn’t be the case. HOWEVER! There’s hope!

You can send a bulk email to the Primary Contact for selected Opportunities. So if you are trying to reach back out to your archived/abandoned Opps, you would filter by Status = Abandoned, select all, and then click the Bulk Email button.

This will open the Bulk Email Composer for the Primary Contact for each of those Opportunities. The only thing is, if one of those contacts has multiple email addresses, you wouldn’t be able to specify which email address it should go to. The system will simply selects the first Work Email that was entered (or, if there’s no Work Email, it goes to Personal Email and then Other Email).

Note, this only sends to the Primary Contact for each Opp. If you have multiple People associated with an Opp, it will only send to the Primary Contact.

This option is available to you on your current plan (Professional). :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Michelle,

What you described (the bulk email to archived opps) is exactly what I was doing when I realized that some of the email fields were empty. So I don’t need to see their email, it will just automatically go to the primary contact’s email address..that’s fabulous!!

As always, I appreciate your help!!!

Ruth

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ARCO Ahh I see. Glad we were able to work through it!

One more thing - after you open the Bulk Email Composer, you can see which email address it picked by hovering over the contact’s name.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Fantastic!! Thanks again Michelle!!

Ruth

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Michelle from Copper -- If you recall, we have a custom field called “email” that was set up in our opportunities. Is there a workflow automation that would allow me to copy our primary contact’s email address into that field and update it if the primary contact changes?

Thanks!!
Ruth

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ARCO good question! Workflow automation can only work with one record at a time. So if my Opportunity triggers a workflow automation, that workflow automation can only make changes on that specific Opportunity. It cannot jump over to the Primary Contact’s record and grab the email.

Internally, we call this feature (that we don’t have) cross-record updates. We have an open Idea for it - I recommend you give it an upvote so that we can @mention you in any updates.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Michelle, I will do that!!

Ruth