Question

Uploading Contacts To Tag

• 24 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

We’re looking to sync contacts with Copper to our mailing lists and vice versa.   What we’ve discovered in doing a deep dive is that there are a lot of contacts in Copper not in Mailchimp and we have contacts in MailChimp not in Copper.

Is there any easy way to do this going backwards?  Our forms have been fixed so that they are now populating both areas.

Second question around syncing existing contacts.   Are we able to upload a list of emails to assign a tag in the people/company record that matches that list?   We are looking to bulk update contacts based on conference attendance and some marketing outreach done with different partners.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Tammymiles, thanks for posting! Looks like there are two main items:

there are a lot of contacts in Copper not in Mailchimp and we have contacts in MailChimp not in Copper.

It sounds like this is a one-time cleanup - is that right? Also, when you say “contact” - are those People or Leads? Or both?

One option is exporting all the contacts from Copper and uploading to Mailchimp, then exporting from Mailchimp and importing to Copper.

On the Copper side, when you import People, it checks if that email address is already associated with a Person record. If so, it doesn’t import that contact. This is to avoid duplicates. I imagine Mailchimp has a similar function for their upload process. If that’s the case, you should be able to do both sets up uploads without manually checking who already exists in which system.

Another option is using the two-way sync tool for Mailchimp and Copper. It’s built by one of Copper’s partners and has a free tier for Business tier customers like yourself. It will reconcile your contact lists on an ongoing basis so you can avoid this situation in the future. It also offers better visibility on Mailchimp info in Copper. So you can see if a contact has unsubscribed and their star rating.

Are we able to upload a list of emails to assign a tag in the people/company record that matches that list?   We are looking to bulk update contacts based on conference attendance and some marketing outreach done with different partners.

Our importing tool is not able to append tags. That means if you upload tags via import, it will wipe out any previous tags a record might have. In order to preserve the previous tags, you would need to export your list, add a column for the new tags, and then re-import it. This is doable but requires a bit of manual work.

Alternatively, we could append tags  using Zapier. Essentially could set up a Google sheet. Each time that Google Sheet has a new email entered, Zapier can look up that email in Copper and append/add the tag for you.

Let me know your thoughts on those options. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

Thanks Michelle.  Yes, a one time clean up for people records.

In terms of tags and maintaining historical data, is the same true if someone interacts with some marketing and signs up for a new offer - will their previous tags also be removed?

We are looking to use tags for various insights, not just marketing but sales and conference data so we want to be sure that data does not get wiped out!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi! We are getting started with Mailchimp. We intend to manage all of our contacts/database/segments in Copper. Can you confirm that the free version of Three60 will allow us to sync our contacts?

For example, it is my understanding that without Three60, if I added a new person into Copper, that contact would NOT be automatically added into mailchimp. Can you confirm that the two-way sync would automatically sync any new people records created in Copper to mailchimp?

I am concerned that this is not possible because of what I read on their pricing chart (screenshot below). If we are to use Copper as a data management system, I want to keep all of our marketing segment data in Copper people records. It is cleanest to keep it all in one place. But according to the pricing chart, actively syncing records and segment data, won’t be possible at the free level? We would have to pay $100 per month plus a $500 set up cost to have that data sync? Am I understanding this correctly?

https://three60.io/free-copper-apps/mailchimp

Userlevel 1

I’m just now realizing that three60.io has a FREE version!??!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Tammymiles you mentioned:

In terms of tags and maintaining historical data, is the same true if someone interacts with some marketing and signs up for a new offer - will their previous tags also be removed?

The previous tags will be removed if you are importing new tags. As in, those imported tags with overwrite whatever you had previous. So, when updating tags, we recommend you actually export your list, add the new tags to the spreadsheets, and then import. This way when the tags are overwritten, you’re also adding the same previous tags at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cae787 

For example, it is my understanding that without Three60, if I added a new person into Copper, that contact would NOT be automatically added into mailchimp.

That’s correct; the native Mailchimp integration will does not automatically push Copper contacts to Mailchimp. You would need to select those contacts and click the “Add to Mailchimp” button.

Can you confirm that the two-way sync would automatically sync any new people records created in Copper to mailchimp?

Let’s ask Three60 - @Zuber @ three60.io can you confirm if that’s how it functions in the Mailchimp app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’m just now realizing that three60.io has a FREE version!??!

@Lori K Haha yes! You can see the details on the pricing page. BUT… your Copper account needs to be on the business tier. This is because the three60.io app is built on the embedded apps framework, which is available only on the Business tier. Maybe @Zuber @ three60.io can chime in here

Userlevel 1

Therein lies my problem, we are on the Professional plan with no plans to upgrade in the near future.

And hello, @Zuber @ three60.io !! :relaxed: