Question

Update Contacts

• 7 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello, 

Doing research on the best tool to work with contacts for a customer.

Use Case:

The customer has a google webform where his clients can subscribe for events. The customer then wants to use the contact information for future mailings. 

I see we can import and update contacts with copper. However if I use tags that represent the activity the client attended, and I import the tag, then all previous tags are overwritten instead of added.

Is there a better way to work with this?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Wimpie, thanks for posting! You are correct that previous tags get overwritten when you upload them. We recommend to first export those contacts (and their tags) and then to add the new tags, then re-upload using update on import.

But, I’m actually wondering if you/your client can automate the Google Webforms - > Copper process so that you don’t need to import at all. If you set up a Zapier connection, it can actually update or create contacts based on a webform entry. And that includes appending (adding) new tags!

We have a step-by-step guide here on how to do that. It does require some setup in Zapier, but you can do it on the free version of their platform. And you can trigger events in multiple platforms. For example, when someone submits a webform, you can automatically add/update them in Copper, get it to notify you in Slack, and send a thank you email.

Hope that helps! Let me know what you think.