Solved

Segmentation For Marketing/Nurturing Process

• 22 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello All,

I was wondering what my fellow Copper users are currently doing to best segment their customers for marketing and email nurturing purposes inside the Copper platform?  I’m not a marketing or technical guru, but we’re struggling with best practices and efficiency of how to do this.  Please bear with my ramblings.  

We currently utilize Mailchimp and will be connecting that to Copper and Outfunnel.  This should allow us to segment with greater detail, but are there any other good ways to do so directly inside of Copper, so it’s more of a native approach?  Outside of “tagging”, it seems as though Copper has limited means of segmentation.

Example:  At the COMPANY level, we define markets such as Power, Industrial, Municipal, etc..  We do not carry these market fields to the PERSON level, as that’s duplicated work.  Conceptually, we most often send our marketing campaigns via segmented markets, which without using Mailchimp and Outfunnel, would be impossible to do inside the Copper platform alone since we do not define our markets at the PERSON level.  Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions on the matter?

In our utopian vision, we would be able to segment, email market/nurture, and analyze all of that data within the Copper platform.

Thanks for any help

icon

Best answer by Wyndham from Copper 25 May 2021, 02:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Great question! This is a tough one that we are still toying with.

For our general marketing newsletter, we are using a "Subscriber Status" drop-down field on the person and lead record level, for a simple "Subscribed / Do Not Contact" with some flexibility to add more segmentation within there in the future if needed.

But that's just on the person/lead level, segmenting based on company data-points to further segment before adding to a campaign is a tough one.

Another way we've managed this for a client is instead of using a "Contact Type" field, we use "Contact Role" and "Company Role" which is a multi-select drop-down.

From there, a person might have the roles of "Applicant (2020), Target Applicant (2020), Judge (2021)" for example. While the company roles would be "Applicant (2020), Vendor" for example. While not totally ideal and there's some overlap, it all depends on how you're trying to segment your data, and this works well for this specific client based on the reports email campaigns they are sending and reports they are pulling.

We use automation to push the data through and keep the data in-sync from person to company in this instance, but it's not easy and we are relying on external triggers (it's a fairly custom solution, not something I'd recommend as a simple fix).

It would be such a game-changer if Copper allowed you to filter down people by related entity data. e.g. show me all people at a company which has the industry set as XYZ.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Matt Horton 

This is something I may be able to assist you with.

We offer a managed sync service that goes much deeper when integrating Copper with Mailchimp.

This page highlights the service: https://three60.io/three60-connect-mailchimp-to-copper-sync

I suggest we set up a time to speakand discuss your specific requirement in more detail.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It would be such a game-changer if Copper allowed you to filter down people by related entity data. e.g. show me all people at a company which has the industry set as XYZ.

Interesting that you mentioned this @alex - it’s something we’re looking into.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It’s something that we’ve been debating here at Copper for a while now.  I’ll outline below a few of the options in the platform today.

Fields

Here you would use fields on your company or people records to provide segments for your contacts.  The out of the box option is through Contact Type but you can define as many fields to segment your customers in different ways as you would like.  You have a lot of flexibility here but you have to be able to define all of this upfront and it only allows you the ability to create relatively broad buckets for customers.  For example, you might have segments to cover each of the products that you’ve sold to customers so that you can follow up with any best practices after the sale.

Tags

Tags are where you get ultimate flexibility.  You can create as many or as few tags as you want and you don’t have to define them upfront either.  This means you can get really personal with outreach and start to capture things that might not matter too much from a business standpoint but are useful for building relationships.  So now, not only do I know what product that you bought but I might have tagged you with particular areas of interest so that I can start to create really personal campaigns that are much more suited to you without creating hundreds of fields.

You can create views using both versions above. 

We’re also looking to fix how easy it is to have fields that are references to data on other objects so that this is something that is easy to do out of the box in the future.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for the write-up @Wyndham from Copper! Tags are great, but if the team doesn't create some type of filter pretty quickly then they often get totally lost, which is why we are careful to rely heavily on Tags.

It would be awesome to have a bit of an overhaul to the Filter area (as discussed in a different post) having them treated more as "views" but even from a UX perspective, they are this tiny drop-down box that isn't super inviting, with no way to organize without adding numbers/letters in front, and the "public" filters are hidden all the way below the private filters.

Even just having a 2 column listview, showing private filters on the left, public on the right, and making them a bit wider and taller would promote using them more. It's just supper crammed currently.

And as you've mentioned, being able to reference related custom field data from say Companies under People in filtering (like connect fields of sorts), would be crazy helpful!

Last piece, adding better organization to the right-hand filter area would be super helpful as well, there's no rhyme or reason as to the current ordering of system/custom fields in the filter area currently resulting in me always doing "CTRL + F" to search the filter area for the filter I'm looking for which isn't the best UX 😅 even just having a little filter search (filter) box at the top would be helpful.