Question

Post Sales Field Updates

• 27 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I am having an issue where some users are altering fields after a deal is won and completed. An example is updating the Close Date or Opportunity Owner. Ideally I do not want anyone allowed to alter some of these specific field, post sale. What can be done to avoid this from happening?

Also, how can I track when and who makes these changes to the close date?

Thank you!

3 replies

Hi Dlader,

Thank you for posting! Would you be able to confirm who makes and assigns the Opportunities on your side?

I ask this because you could make the Opportunity Owner and Close Date fields ‘Read Only’ to Users but still editable by Admins. To do this, go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Opportunities and under the column ‘Record Edit Rules’ select which fields you want as ‘Read Only’. However, this will make those fields ‘Read Only’ all the time and not just on a post-sale basis.

At this time, we do not have a way to track who and when the close date has been updated.

I create and assign opportunities. I need the opportunity owners (the sales reps) to be able to update the close date. Please advise. 

Hi Dlader,

In this case, it is not possible to keep the Close Date fields editable only until a certain point. Once the field restrictions are set, this will be true throughout the whole Opp process in that Pipeline.

An alternative solution could be setting up a separate pipeline where only won Opportunities are kept and then restricting that to ‘Read Only’ so that it becomes the source of truth. You can do this by setting all fields to ‘Read Only’ from Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Opportunities > Selecting the new Pipeline.

You can set up a workflow automation to clone the Opportunity once it goes into the Won stage that will automatically place the clone in the new ‘Won Pipeline’. Here’s an article that details how to set up that automation.

Just note that when you create the new Pipeline, you’ll need to ensure that all of the fields are the same as the original Pipeline to ensure that the clone happens correctly.