Solved

Is there a way to set up opportunity splitting?

• 11 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m trying to set up a system where our SDR’s can split opportunities found with our Account Executives/Managers. 

Has anyone done something similar? Is there anyway to create an opportunity that has two owners?

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 12 December 2022, 19:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@mrsethwilson I had the same issue, but solved it by creating a “connect” custom user field named, “Account Executive” and listing the Account Executive on the opportunity. 

‘’that allows us to have one opportunity with an SDR owner and an Account Executive. 

Hope that helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@mrsethwilson, thanks for posting! @andrewbermudez has a great suggestion. A connect field would allow you to link/label relationships between Copper users and Opportunities. For example:

As you can see, we have the default “Owner” and we’ve created a Connect Field called “Secondary Owner”. So perhaps in your case, the Account Executive/Manager is the “Owner” and we can have a box for “SDR” to give credit to the SDRs involved.

To set this up, go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Opportunities > Create Field.

A box will pop to create the new field. Make sure you select “Connect Field” as the Type. And also “Users” for the Related Record Type in the right side box.

In this case, the benefit of a Connect Field is that it will automatically update the options each time a new user is added or deleted. There are, however, a couple of downsides:

1. You can’t import or export connect fields
  2. You can’t include them in reports in our reporting system
  3. You can’t use them with workflow automations
  4. You will lose the connection if a user is deleted

If any of these are issues, then you might consider create a normal custom dropdown instead of a Connect Field. Basically, you would create one dropdown option for each SDR on your team. You could also add an option for “Other” or “No SDR” or for SDRs who have since left your organization.

Let me know your thoughts!

Badge

That you for that. I think that is as good a way as any to make this work!