Question

Importing People to an Opportunity

• 29 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I see that his has already been asked, but the comments were closed on the original post and I would like more clarification. The chat function on Copper doesn’t seem to be working right now, so I’m reaching out here. 

I want to confirm that once I create an Opportunity or Pipeline, that I cannot then import people who are already in Copper into that pipeline? Do I have to add them manually one by one?

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Eliesha, thanks for posting!

Can you tell me a bit more about the chat not working? Did the icon disappear? Or are you not getting routed to a person? Let me know so I can get our engineers to look into it.

As for your question - are you referring to having a Person associated with an existing Opportunity? If that’s the case, then the answer is… sort of.

1. For a Primary Contacts on Opportunity, you can do an Opportunity import that assigns the Primary Contact. I’ll add an example of an import spreadsheet you would use for this below. Just note, each Opportunity only has ONE Primary Contact.
  2. If you’re trying to associate multiple People to a single Opportunity, unfortunately there’s no way to use import for that. You’ll have to connect them manually.

For options #1 you would need a spreadsheet with one column for the Opp name and another for the Primary Contact.

Name Primary Contact
22 Pro tier seats - annual contract Hubert Farnsworth
8 Biz tier seats - annual contract Philip Fry

Make sure the names of the Opportunities and the Primary Contact exactly match what you have in Copper!

Then you would go to Manage Your Data > Import Data > Import Opportunities and upload your file. Pay attention to these settings:

1. Manage Matching Records - check this box and some more options will pop up.
  2. How do you want to handle matched records > Overwrite - this tells the system to update the Primary Contact for you.
  3. Identify matching records by: Name - this tells the system to identify a particular Opportunity based on whether in name in the spreadsheet matches one in Copper.

Hope that helps :) Let me know if that’s helpful and also about the chat thing. Thank you!

Badge +1

This is great! Thank you! A couple of other questions.

• If you’re importing a person, then I assume that Copper would automatically fill in the company within the opportunity as well?
  • Can I add any other filters in? For example, I’ve made a custom opportunity filter for preferred language.
  • Also, when putting in the primary contact, the full name (first name and surname) all go in one cell?
  • The name on the excel template you’ve shared is the name of the Pipeline? Or the name of the Opportunity? If its the name of the Opportunity, how does Copper know which pipeline to import into?

As for the chat, this is what it looks like for me when I click on the little “C” on the bottom right of my screen. There’s no buttons to start a conversation. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Badge +1

One other question! What if you have two people with the same name that you’re importing from Copper into an Pipeline?

Badge +1

I think I answered all my questions lol! I just did a test import. I added a column labeled pipeline and added the pipeline name and voila! So it’s all good. I think I can take it from here.

The chat is still not working unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Eliesha I just realized I did not follow my own Best Practice in the example… I did not include a column for which Pipeline the Opportunity belongs to 😅

Glad you figured out all those pieces! One of your questions I get a lot so I want to answer it here for public visibility:

when putting in the primary contact, the full name (first name and surname) all go in one cell?

You can either do Full Name in one single column, or separate columns for First Name and Last Name (and also Middle Name if you choose). Just make sure you match them to the correct field(s) when you’re importing.

As for the chat thing, our engineers are asking if you could do a “hard refresh” of your browser. Here’s how, based on your browser and operating system:

• Chrome, Firefox, or Edge for Windows: Press Ctrl+F5 (If that doesn’t work, try Shift+F5 or Ctrl+Shift+R).
  • Chrome or Firefox for Mac: Press Shift+Command+R.

If that doesn’t work then I’ll submit a technical support ticket, which would allow our technical team to do some troubleshooting with you through email.