Solved

Field to track previous company for a person

• 29 March 2022
  • 5 replies

We’d love a field that allows us to record multiple ‘former companies’ for a person.  Our ‘people’ often move from one company to another.  Currently we keep track of a person’s former company (previous employer) in ‘description’ but it would be helpful to have a linked field to ‘former company’.

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 29 March 2022, 22:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @laura.earthscapeplay, thanks for posting! While we don’t have a default field for Former Companies, you can build your own using a custom connect field.

This is what it would look like when you view a Person:

In this example, clicking Apple or Pixar will open up those Company records.

And this is what it would look like when you view a Company:

If you’d like to set up this Connect Field, go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > People > Create Field. Select Connect Field as the type. These are the settings I used in the example above:

Connect Fields are great for visibility on relationships (like former employees). But they do come with some limitations:

1. You cannot import connect fields
  2. They cannot be used in Reports
  3. They do not interact with our API

Assuming those aren’t show stoppers for you, a Connect Field might be a good option!

Anyways, let me know if that addresses your suggestion or if you were thinking of something else. Thanks Laura!

Thanks!  That’s a great option and I think it will work for us. Much appreciate the reply!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@laura.earthscapeplay glad I could help! If it’s ok with you, I’d like to convert this from an Idea to a Question so that others can find it in the search results.

Let me know if anything comes up as you set up that Connect Field!

For sure - go ahead.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@Shane Feldman - An interesting idea for “former companies”