Solved

Email Best Practice when People Leave/Change Companies

• 20 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

How do folks handle email addresses when a person leaves a company or changes orgs? It seems to make sense from a historical records perspective to keep existing (obsolete) email addresses in a People record so Activity associated with that address remains. However, we’d like avoid confusion internally about which email address to use when communicating with our people.

As an aside, with people in certain industries changing jobs regularly, our People records have started to accumulate quite a few email address!

Thanks,

Seth

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 21 April 2022, 15:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @SethD, thanks for posting! I totally understand why you would want to keep a record of the old email address. There are a couple of common ways to store old email addresses on a Person record. But before we dive in, I wanna talk more about this point:

It seems to make sense from a historical records perspective to keep existing (obsolete) email addresses in a People record so Activity associated with that address remains.

Actually, if you remove an email address from a Person record, those previously synced emails will remain associated! When the system processes the emails for the first time, it attaches it to that Person record, not just the email address that was involved. So if you remove an old email address from a Person record, you’ll still be able to see those old emails!

But you still might have other reasons for wanting to keep their previous email address. So let’s go through our options for doing that.

Option 1: Save those email addresses under the type “Other.” Usually, someone’s current working email is saved as “Work Email”. So you would just need to change the email type to “Other.” The pro is that this is the easiest approach - you just have to toggle the email type. The con is that your users will have to be aware that they should not be using any email address marked “Other.”

Option 2: create a custom text field for previous emails and copy/paste those old emails in. This way they will be clearly labelled as former email addresses. And, if you have a lot of old emails for a contact, it’s a much more clear and compact way to store it. Downside - you would need to manually copy/paste their email here when they move companies.

You could also create and pin a note for the contact with their former email addresses, although that would be some added work.

Anyways let me know what you think :) 

Actually, if you remove an email address from a Person record, those previously synced emails will remain associated! When the system processes the emails for the first time, it attaches it to that Person record, not just the email address that was involved. So if you remove an old email address from a Person record, you’ll still be able to see those old emails!

That’s great news Michelle, because in the past we have completely removed email addresses when people left or changed companies. Just did some testing and it looks like a record of an email address associated with any communication remains in activity after the address has been removed as well.

A case-by-case combination of removing addresses altogether and Option 1 will probably work best for us. I’m going to run it by the team at our next meeting.

@Michelle from Copper  thanks as always for your responsiveness.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@SethD great, glad we found a setup that might work for your team! Feel free to let me know if any questions come up during that team meeting 🙂

Note: I’m also going to mark my original response as Best Answer so that others can find it more easily. Thanks Seth!