Solved

Duplicate Lead Detection

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I don’t see a way that Copper handles duplicate leads from an import. If I import a file 1 with a bunch of leads, then file 2 with more leads and there’s some overlap, it seems I get duplicate leads. Is there a way to eliminate these duplicates? I would think there’s a way they could be auto-caught and merged or something.

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 4 July 2022, 21:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @DanThor, thanks for posting! It really sounds like there’s two questions here: how to manage existing duplicates in Copper, and how to prevent duplicates when importing.

Managing existing duplicate Leads

If you’ve already got duplicates Leads caused by an import, the easiest thing to do is to revert that import and re-do it using Manage Matching Records (more details on that in the next section).

To revert the import, go to Settings > Manage Your Data > Import Data > Past Imports. There you’ll see a Revert Import button for each of your previous imports.

Otherwise, you can manually merge duplicates using the Merge button.

Preventing duplicate leads when importing

In the import settings, there’s a checkbox for “Manage matching records.” If you check it off, the system can detect existing Leads based on their email address or system ID.

When you check off the “Manage matching records” box, two more settings will pop up:

1. How do you want to handle matched records? Skip/overwrite - Skip means the system will ignore any rows in your sheet that match an existing Lead in Copper. Overwrite means it will use the data in your sheet to overwrite the data in the existing Lead.
  2. Identify matching records by - this is asking you how you want the system to detect matches. In most cases you would match by Email.

From there, continue your import as normal. But make sure you have “Email” selected as one of your columns.

Let me know if that’s helpful or if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If I and a partner each import 500 leads and there are 50 in common, there’s no way to auto find those duplicates? I don’t want to have to revert an import and search through them to find the duplicates just because there are 50 in common. But I also don’t want to have to search through 1000 entries manually to find the duplicates. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @DanThor, we don’t have a way to auto-detect duplicates in the Leads section, unfortunately. You could export all your Leads and use the duplicate detection features of Google Sheets or Excel to find them, and mark them with a tag. Then you would re-import it and do a bulk delete based on that tag.

I understand it’s not ideal to have to do this outside of Copper. If you’d like, I can convert this topic in to Idea to get it in front of the Product team for future consideration. Let me know if you’d like me to do that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @DanThor, we don’t have a way to auto-detect duplicates in the Leads section, unfortunately. You could export all your Leads and use the duplicate detection features of Google Sheets or Excel to find them, and mark them with a tag. Then you would re-import it and do a bulk delete based on that tag.

I understand it’s not ideal to have to do this outside of Copper. If you’d like, I can convert this topic in to Idea to get it in front of the Product team for future consideration. Let me know if you’d like me to do that.

Let’s convert it to an idea please!