Question

Can you Lookup a Company or when inputting a lead

• 17 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

We have multiple leads with one client as one client has multiple locations, so we always have unqualified/qualified/refining and nurturing leads with them.  Therefore we need to track leads both by company and person at that company.  How is this done in copper?  If we just put in a company name or person’s name and create a new lead each time it gets really redundant and messy fast.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Badge

Hi Duane, 

Thanks for this question!

When you mention tracking leads by company and person - are you looking for a way to relate people to companies? If so there isn’t a way to track this in Copper, but you could possibly use custom fields in this case and create a custom field that indicates these leads. Adding these leads to include the location and status of the lead is easy to do in Copper, check out this guide here. 

Cheers, 

Nickie 

Userlevel 1

So my challenge is that we have leads or lead lists where we have multiple people in a company and it is not piratical to put in multiple leads to accommodate multiple people.  Also we have many cases when we have a company and phone but no name, so requiring a name is problematic.

Badge

In order to search on criteria that you mentioned (have a company but no name, multiple people) it may be best to leverage tags in this case. You can filter and search by tag, create a workflow automation, use tags in reports and more.

Userlevel 1

Were you thinking to import/input leads into Company and then use custom fields (I prefer these to tags for input control).  In that way, under related to multiple people and projects could be added.  I know I can figure a work around, but was trying not to get the partial data leads into company or people as then we have to filter all the time.

The goal is to achieve multiple people without redundant lead records that need manual entry - leads doesn’t look up the people or the company as you input, so it can get very messy very fast.

Alternate solution is to import or input into leads, but in leads you cannot relate to people to put in multiple people, then from leads projects could be created and those could be sorted for follow up into prospecting, nurtured, and qualified.  Then from a project you can put in an opportunity (quote) for the pipeline.

I am very new so not too familiar with workflow yet.

Userlevel 1

Sorry missed a step there ...once a project is identified the lead would be converted to a person and under the person you can create the project...

Badge

Going back to your initial question that was posted, you asked if there was a way to track leads at the company and person level. Would you consider removing the leads function altogether and only use people and companies in your CRM? I'll need you to explain your lead workflow as I’m assuming you have a standard use case. 

You mention this...The goal is to achieve multiple people without redundant lead records that need manual entry - leads doesn’t look up the people or the company as you input, so it can get very messy very fast. Are these multiple people who are duplicates? 

My initial understanding was is there a way to maneuver duplicates in Copper? This is why the custom field and tags were suggested so that you are able to find and report on these items. There isn’t an easy non-manual way to have duplicates in Copper.

Looking forward to your response!

Userlevel 1

Using Leads isn’t essential.  Our initial thought was to use Companies and not use Leads.  However, my concern is leads often are partial, incomplete records and can be inputted without professional syntax/format.  So, I think we can go that route, but then I need to look at making fields required and if possible auto font formatting (ie Title Case, Input Mask, etc).  Is that possible?  Most important will be simply the font formatting Title Case.   Thank You!

Badge

There are some Copper customers who have successfully removed Leads from their processes and leverage People and Companies only. 

If you are looking at making fields required you are able to create different types of custom fields, these have different types formatting and search-abilities. This guide here outlines explains more under the  Understand custom fields section. 

Hope this helps Duane :)