Question

Can you import or copy/paste entries for multiple dropdown selections in custom field?

• 5 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have 93 options for a dropdown custom field. I have tried copy/pasting them in, but the entires are on a single line. I see that 500 options are available, but there has to be an easy way to import that information.

For context, the dropdown will feature 93 options for neighborhoods on the people record. We work in real estate and neighborhoods can be very granular. 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cae787, thanks for the question! Just want to clarify - it sounds like you will have a multi-select dropdown with 93 options. And you’re looking for a way to populate them without selecting each option one by one. Is that right?

You can import that data into that multi-select dropdown. Just make sure each of the multi-select dropdown options is separated by a semicolon. See the Product Types column in this example:

If you go this route, just make sure you use Manage Matching Records so that you don’t end up with any duplicate people.

You could also do a bulk edit. This would work best if you have several people who have the exact same set of neighborhoods. In your case, importing probably would work better to account for all the variations in neighborhood options.

Let me know if that helps and if you’d like further guidance on either of those options!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you!

That makes sense for how to do it when importing. I should clarify that I am hoping to set up the dropdown options before importing to the people record. I am stuck on the create field page. See below.

Would separating the options by a semicolon work here as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cae787 oh, gotcha! Unfortunately if you’re creating a field you do have to enter them one by one. We don’t have a way of just copy and pasting a bunch of them in. I can see how that might be tedious if you have 93 options. :disappointed_relieved:

If you want, you can submit that feature as an Idea for the product team to look at. But in the meantime you will have to enter them individually.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I thought that might be the case.

I’ll request it! Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cae787 thank you for submitting this as an Idea! I’m going to put the link for anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future.