Solved

Can you filter by zip code in People records?

• 9 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I work in real estate and will need to be able to filter clients by the zip code they live in.

For instance, I am working with a buyer who exclusively wants to buy a house in 90210. I have sold a bunch of houses there over the years and want to contact some past clients who may be tempted to sell. The easiest way to pull that list would be to filter by the zip code stored under address. 

Is that possible?

If the address field is not filterable, the workaround I have planned is to create a custom text field for zip code that would exist in addition to the zip stored under the standard address field.

Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 11 May 2022, 20:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cae787, thanks for the question! Text fields aren’t filterable right now (that’s in the works) but you can use the global search to find people/companies/opportunities with a certain zip code.

In the example below, I filled out Larry Page’s zip code as 90210. This is what I get when I use the global search and then hit enter:

Just make sure you hit “enter” after you type the zip code in the search bar - that activates the in-depth search that checks all the address fields, custom fields, etc.

Hope that answers your question :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2
Badge

That helps!

Some follow ups:

1. I now understand that text fields are not searchable
  2. Are dropdown selections filterable?
  3. Are currency values filterable?

Context:

I could use dropdowns to indicate a person’s zipcode instead. If I have a buyer client that wants to live in 90210, can I filter my people records to 90210 dropdown selections? Ideally, we would then be able to email a selection of those People directly in Copper and let them know we have an interested buyer.

For currency, I have a buyer’s home price minimum and maximum values indicated as currency fields. If a new listing comes on the market for $500,000 in 90210, I want to be able to filter through my buyer contacts and see whose search criteria fits those parameters. Then I can email them directly and say “hey this listing is coming up and I want to get you in the door ASAP.”

Any suggestions for these scenarios?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cae787  to answer your questions:

Are dropdown selections filterable?

Yes!

Are currency values filterable?

Also yes!  

So if you have added a custom field of either of those types, you will see them as options when you create a filter.

Note - when you create a new custom field (of a type that can be filtered), it will ask you if you’d like to include it in filters:

So if you’re not seeing it available in your filter criteria, there’s a chance you might have un-checked that box. If that’s the case go to Settings > Customize > Manage Fields on Records > Edit Custom Fields to adjust that field setting.

If I have a buyer client that wants to live in 90210, can I filter my people records to 90210 dropdown selections?

Yes, you can do that. Depending on how many zip codes you work with, it might be annoying to create those dropdown options. But once they’re created you can do that filtering. Another plus side is it will help prevent typos in the zip code info. For example, when I was entering Larry Page’s zip code in my previous screenshot, I accidentally entered “0210” instead of “90210.” A dropdown would prevent that kind of mistake.

For currency, I have a buyer’s home price minimum and maximum values indicated as currency fields. If a new listing comes on the market for $500,000 in 90210, I want to be able to filter through my buyer contacts and see whose search criteria fits those parameters.

Yup! Here’s an example of what that filter would look like. In this case I set it to search for property value between $450k and $550k in 90210.

You can also filter on multiple drop downs / zip codes at once. In the example below, I’m filtering for clients whos desired property value is between $450k and $550k in 90210 or in 90211.

By the way, are you clients typically searching in multiple zip codes or just one at a time? If it’s multiple, consider using a multi-select dropdown instead of a single-select drop down for the zip code. This allows you to select multiple zip codes for each person.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You’re the best!

I will deep dive into all of this later today, but I believe this answers all my questions.

And yes -- I used multi-select dropdowns for both neighborhoods and zip codes for the very reason that people search in multiple areas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cae787 Just wanted to let you know that our engineers have started work on the ability to filter text fields! This will include the ability to filter by someone’s zip code.

We’ll post release notes when it comes out. I recommend you subscribe to our product updates to stay up to date!

I’m also going to mark this response as Best Answer so that others can see it easily. Thanks Christina!

UPDATE: text filters has been released for all users. You can filter by zip code via the “Address” filter.