Solved

Importing new information on existing contacts on Copper in bulk

• 20 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to update information in bulk on people we already have on Copper, by uploading an excel sheet. But from what I see, if we input an existing contact again, Copper will not synchronize it to avoid duplicates. 

Now my question is: is it possible to upload information from existing contacts onto Copper in bulk? (through excel or .csv format). Or would I have to delete the contacts on Copper and upload them again, and will I lose the saved previous activity?

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 20 October 2022, 16:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @TomDZD! You definitely can update existing contacts through a bulk import. The key is to make sure your spreadsheet contains a column for their email address. The system will use that email address to check if they are already a contact.

We have specific instructions with screenshots here:

Check it out, and feel free to let me know if you have questions or need more specific guidance.

I also host an importing webinar where I answer questions just like this one.

Hi Michelle,

I appreciate your answer, the article was very helpful indeed.

Hi Michelle,

I’d like to piggy back on this question but in regards to other data outside of emails to check for duplicates. For instance if I bulk upload contacts that has names and phone numbers but no email, will copper know to look for other data points to avoid duplicates? 

Example, this would be the same person:

already in copper: John Doe, phone number 123-456-7890, email does not exist

bulk upload: John Doe, phone number 123-456-7890, email jdoe@email.com

or bulk upload: John Doe, phone number does not exist, email jdoe@email.com