Solved

Email visibility / privacy

• 20 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi all!

My team and I are struggling with the “Individual Email Visibility Control” setting. Either all emails are public, which we definitely don't want because that means I could see all emails to and from my colleagues, including internal and private emails. Or all emails are private, which is what we have now, but that means opening every email to and from (potential) customers manually, and there are dozens of them every day. Is there a solution for this? Or can a less all-or-nothing feature be developed?

Kind regards,
Jesper Doorn

icon

Best answer by Michelle from Copper 20 September 2022, 20:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @JesperCCmath, thanks for posting! I’d like to clarify one point:

[If emails are public then] I could see all emails to and from my colleagues, including internal and private emails.

Not quite - we have some mechanisms in place to prevent internal emails from being logged. There are four criteria that must be met for an email to be synced into Copper:

1. You are using Gmail and our Google Workspace sync, and
  2. The other party is a Contact in Copper, and
  3. The other party is not also a Copper user, and
  4. The other party’s email domain does not match your company’s email domain or the email domain belonging to any other user.

To elaborate on the last point - let’s say I send an email from michelle@abcorp.com to chris@abcorp.com. Since we both have @abcorp.com in our email addresses, the email I send will not sync into Copper.

Basically, this means you if you are emailing with your colleague, it will not show up in Copper.

With that knowledge, I would recommend you leave your emails visible so that emails to/from your prospects/customers can be automatically logged.

Let me know if that addresses your concern. Thanks Jesper!

Hi @JesperCCmath, thanks for posting! I’d like to clarify one point:

[If emails are public then] I could see all emails to and from my colleagues, including internal and private emails.

Not quite - we have some mechanisms in place to prevent internal emails from being logged. There are four criteria that must be met for an email to be synced into Copper:

1. You are using Gmail and our Google Workspace sync, and
  2. The other party is a Contact in Copper, and
  3. The other party is not also a Copper user, and
  4. The other party’s email domain does not match your company’s email domain or the email domain belonging to any other user.

To elaborate on the last point - let’s say I send an email from michelle@abcorp.com to chris@abcorp.com. Since we both have @abcorp.com in our email addresses, the email I send will not sync into Copper.

Basically, this means you if you are emailing with your colleague, it will not show up in Copper.

With that knowledge, I would recommend you leave your emails visible so that emails to/from your prospects/customers can be automatically logged.

Let me know if that addresses your concern. Thanks Jesper!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you, this does prevent some potential privacy issues that come into play. But, it does not cover everything I think. For example, our CEO is a Copper user and he has confidential mail conversations with external addresses such as our bookkeepers, governmental parties, HR related stuff. This could in theory all be seen by the other users once this contact is a lead/people in Copper right? Unless he manually made them all invisible. 

Could you confirm/deny this, and offer a possible solution to private communication with external mail addresses? For example black/whitelisting are easily switch between invisible/visible instead of doing it per mail.

Kind regards,
Jesper Doorn

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@JesperCCmath Gotcha, thanks for the additional context. Let’s talk through external emails that might be sensitive.

For example, our CEO is a Copper user and he has confidential mail conversations with external addresses such as our bookkeepers, governmental parties, HR related stuff. This could in theory all be seen by the other users once this contact is a lead/people in Copper right?

That would be the default setting, yes. You/your CEO have some options to handle that:

Option 1: Set the CEO’s emails to Private

This means their emails will still be ingested, but the contents will not be visible to users. Users will only see the fact that there was an email but cannot see the contents. Here’s what it would look like:

To set emails to Private, go to Settings > Personal Preferences > Email Settings & Templates > Uncheck the box for Mark synced emails as visible and automatically relate files to records

Depending on your settings, Copper admins might be able to still see emails that are set to private. You account owner can enable/disable this at Settings > Personal Preferences > Email Settings & Templates > Email Private Email Visibility 

Option 2: Limit visibility on that contact

This lets you/your CEO decide which users can access a particular contact. Each contact’s default Visibility setting is Everyone, meaning any user can go and open it. But you can change it so that only particular users, such as your CEO, can access it.

If a user tries to open up that contact, this is what they’ll see:

NOTE, Copper admins can still all contacts even if the visibility is limited.

Option 3: Turn off your CEO’s Google Sync

This stops the system from ingesting the CEO’s emails altogether, so that they’re not logged at all in the system.

To do this, have an admin go to Settings > Account Settings > Company & Invite New Users and click the pencil icon beside the CEO. Uncheck the box for Google Sync.

This might be a good option if your CEO is mostly in Copper to see what everyone else is up to, rather than using it to track his/her own emails/contacts.

Option #3 is the simplest and most clear-cut, but it removes the Google Integration features for your CEO. If that’s not a problem then I recommend option #3.

Let me know if that helps!